Ordered the parts, now stand by for questions.

Started by SoCalBuilder, January 17, 2011, 11:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

I finally ordered up the parts for the second element on my OBS. I use the PID so I figured I'd take the easy way out and just wire the new element to the outlet on the back of the Bradley. I did order the additional fuse and the sensor. I also ordered a replacement shield (just in case) and the wire and connectors from Allied Kenco. I never saw a wire size mentioned, but after looking at the connectors that were spec'd, I went with #12.

Once I get it torn apart and re-read all the info here on the forum, I hope it all makes sense. Being a wood-butcher by trade, I generally hire someone that is more tolerant to electrical shocks than I am to do anything connected to a wire; but I'll give it a shot :o

While the credit card was still warmed up, I ordered some more Mies and four more jars of pickles ;D Tasty stuff!

jimmyb

I'm right there with you. Have all of the parts except for the wire. Had to order that online. Let us know how you make out and if you found any gotchas. I did cut the hole for the switch and snapped that in but that's as far as I got without the wire. I recall a #14 wire on the original post from Habs on this but #12 will do.

TestRocket

Good luck you two! And help is but only a question away!   ;D

beefmann

12 ga wire is a bit heavier and  will carry more capacity, 14 is a little lighter and carries  less, as long as the wire you  ordered is high temp over wire you  should be fine. 

Habanero Smoker

Take lots of digital pictures of the wiring for reference, before taking anything apart.

When I ordered my 14 ga wire, Allied Kenco sent me 12 ga; either by mistake or they didn't have the 14 ga in stock. With the 12 ga. wire it is slightly more difficult to crimp a 12 ga and a 14 ga wire together to one connector. The added thickness of the 12 ga. was an added pain in completing the wiring; especially when I was adding the on/off switch. But it will all come together.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 17, 2011, 01:07:59 PM
Take lots of digital pictures of the wiring for reference, before taking anything apart.

When I ordered my 14 ga wire, Allied Kenco sent me 12 ga; either by mistake or they didn't have the 14 ga in stock. With the 12 ga. wire it is slightly more difficult to crimp a 12 ga and a 14 ga wire together to one connector. The added thickness of the 12 ga. was an added pain in completing the wiring; especially when I was adding the on/off switch. But it will all come together.

I don't suppose soldering the wires into the connector is an option is it?

TedEbear

I just completed my dual element, PID controller conversion Saturday.  12ga wire is definately overkill but it will work.  It's just more of a hassle because of the larger size.  I used 14ga for my high temp wire.  I found 3 ft of it at an appliance repair shop for $1. 

BTW, the original high temp wiring is 18ga.  I thought that was too small until I did some Googling and found this: Wire Gauge and Current Limits

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 17, 2011, 01:23:27 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 17, 2011, 01:07:59 PM

I don't suppose soldering the wires into the connector is an option is it?

Both wires will fit in the connector, it's just a little difficult. If I could manage it, anyone can. If you are good at soldering that may work, but there is not much space in the area of the plug to solder the wires to the outside of the connectors, and then connect them to the terminals.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)