Long Smokes

Started by steve-o, January 18, 2011, 01:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve-o

This may be a dumb question, but have any of you had any problems with critters trying to break in to your smoker on the overnighters? I have raccoons in my neighbourhood, and cant help but think they would try and steal my food if I left it out overnight. Or is just assumed that it be in somewhere safe if unattended?

Habanero Smoker

I live out in the country, and my land is bordered on two sides with deep woods. I have all sorts of critters out here form mice to coyotes and a mountain lion that is occasionally seen in the area. I've never had any problems with any animal trying to break into my smoker during an overnight cook. A couple of members reported black bears breaking into their smokers, but all reports were done when the smoker was not in use.

I have more problems with critters chewing up the gas caps and gas lines of my outdoor equipment.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I would think that most critters would shy away from anything hot. I have coons, possums, foxes, coyotes, black bear, and several other critters here and never a problem.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

FLBentRider

We have racoons, etc. No issues here, but we have dogs too...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

I live in the country also and feral cats were my only problem.

SoCalBuilder

Only the occasional nosy neighbor ;D

Quarlow

I think that the smoke keeps most critters away.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

steve-o

Good to know. After a few more shorter recipes I will have to try an overnighter  ;D

muebe

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 18, 2011, 01:55:28 AM
I live out in the country, and my land is bordered on two sides with deep woods. I have all sorts of critters out here form mice to coyotes and a mountain lion that is occasionally seen in the area. I've never had any problems with any animal trying to break into my smoker during an overnight cook. A couple of members reported black bears breaking into their smokers, but all reports were done when the smoker was not in use.

I have more problems with critters chewing up the gas caps and gas lines of my outdoor equipment.

WTF.....A Mountain Lion!!!  :o  And I thought Los Angeles was dangerous :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Quarlow

LA is dangerous, you have more cougars there than mountain lions in the wilderness. :D :D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

Quote from: Quarlow on January 18, 2011, 12:22:28 PM
LA is dangerous, you have more cougars there than mountain lions in the wilderness. :D :D :D

Touche ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

Though I wouldn't want to have a close encounter with a mountain lion, I wouldn't mind running into a few cougars myself.  :)

Mountain lions have been spotted in my area off and on for about seven years. I personally saw one about four years ago in the woods on my property. Our DEC is claiming though they have received many reports, they have yet to find any physical signs of one.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)