• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Summer Sausage (cooking timetable)

Started by classicrockgriller, January 20, 2011, 10:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I ran across this at a local spice company.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried this method OR

if you see anything wrong with it. The SS will have cure! ;D

Processing
1. The meat will require two grindings. During the first grind, the lean meats are ground through a 3/16" plate and fat is ground through a 1/2" plate.

2. Combine the meats, add the cure mix and seasonings and mix evenly. Over-mixing should be avoided.

3. Place this mixture (not over 6 inches deep) in meat tubs to pan cure. Cover and place in a 38-40 degrees F cooler and hold for 2 to 4 days to develop flavor(if you have the time).

4. After curing, regrind the meat mixture through a 1/8" plate and stuff into a casing (collagen Casings 2" to 4" in diameter are preferred). Make sure there are no air pockets in the casing.

5. Allow sausages to dry at room temperature for 2 hours.

Smoking Process
The thicker the sausage the longer time it takes to smoke. The times below are based on using a 2.5" thick collagen casing.

1. Place the sausage in a preheated smokehouse at 110 degrees F for 12 hours.

2. Apply a cool, dense smoke during this time.

3. Raise the temperature to 165 degrees F and cook until the internal temperature of the sausage is 155 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer to check the sausage. The time required depends upon the equipment used, maybe 1 to 3 hours.

4. Reduce the heat. Shower the sausage to cool it. Allow it stand at room temperature for 2 hours to develop a bloom.

classicrockgriller

Sailor

I have never tried to do it that way.  Only thing I can think of is holding it in the fridge for that long may dry it and it may be hard to stuff and you may have to add more moisture to get it to stuff.  I don't know why they would want to smoke it at 110 for 12 hrs.  Guess they like lots and lots of smoke  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

classicrockgriller

This particular spice company is older and this is from their Library of recipes.

They are probably referring to a larger smoke house.

They do a regrind and you are stuffing into LARGE casings.

Father Tom

I have a few older recipes that are very close.  I do have a problem with regrinding through the 1/8" plate as ulnless you are carefull with the fat, it will smear and can cause crumbling in the sausage after smoking.  (I just did that with venison).  I have found it better to grind through a 1/4" plate for the second grinding.

FT

classicrockgriller

Thanks for the info.

This is on my short list to do for Sausage and I will follow your advise.

watchdog56

What is the purpose of grinding twice? I usually grind once through 3/8 plate.

classicrockgriller

I am not forsure but I would think it would be to loosen up the

meat that has cure in it and setting in the fridge for a cple of days.

I would imagine it would be pretty stiff.

Father Tom

In my openion, grinding for the second time is part of  re-distribution of the spices, herbs etc.  Two or three days in Frig with coating on the coutside of the grind, eventhough remixed by hand daily, leaves some of the meat without the additives.  Re-grinding mixes so that most of not all of the meats are now coated.  It also acts as tenderizing.

Some other members  of the forum will probably give additional insite. 

The final answer will come from Habanero Smoker who is the ultimate lord of the ring.

FT

NePaSmoKer

I have and 12 hours at 110 will dry the SS out. Not worth a bad product. Remember this company says 2-4" casings. Most of us use 2-2 1/2" casings.

Do yourself a favor and start at 130* and ramp up from there, You can always add a large smudge of smoke to the SS.

As far as grinding the 3/16 (or med plate) will be good for the meat, Fat through the 1/2" (large plate) will give your SS the look you see in the store. Fine meat with larger grind of fat.

Grind, season, mix, stuff it and smoke it  ;D

classicrockgriller

They called it a semi-dry Summer Sausage.

Might give them a call before I try it.

LoftyNotions

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 20, 2011, 10:44:20 AM
I ran across this at a local spice company.

Just wanted to know if anyone has tried this method OR

if you see anything wrong with it. The SS will have cure! ;D

Processing
1. The meat will require two grindings. During the first grind, the lean meats are ground through a 3/16" plate and fat is ground through a 1/2" plate.
If you're going to re-grind it all through a 1/8" plate why go to all the fuss of separate plates for the fat and the meat?
2. Combine the meats, add the cure mix and seasonings and mix evenly. Over-mixing should be avoided.
See comments below.
3. Place this mixture (not over 6 inches deep) in meat tubs to pan cure. Cover and place in a 38-40 degrees F cooler and hold for 2 to 4 days to develop flavor(if you have the time).
I don't hold my spiced meat to "develop flavor". I refrigerate for a day or 2 after it is totally processed and bagged. I think this re-distributes smoke and spice flavors better.
4. After curing, regrind the meat mixture through a 1/8" plate and stuff into a casing (collagen Casings 2" to 4" in diameter are preferred). Make sure there are no air pockets in the casing.
Your call. What do you want for a final texture?
5. Allow sausages to dry at room temperature for 2 hours.
Sounds good. Or maybe in the smoker with no smoke at 110 or so for a couple hours without smoke?
Smoking Process
The thicker the sausage the longer time it takes to smoke. The times below are based on using a 2.5" thick collagen casing.

1. Place the sausage in a preheated smokehouse at 110 degrees F for 12 hours.
Considering that most butts are only smoked for 4 hours or so, I think this might be a bit much.
2. Apply a cool, dense smoke during this time.

3. Raise the temperature to 165 degrees F and cook until the internal temperature of the sausage is 155 degrees F. Use a meat thermometer to check the sausage. The time required depends upon the equipment used, maybe 1 to 3 hours.
I'd settle for 150 final temperature, but 155 works too.
4. Reduce the heat. Shower the sausage to cool it. Allow it stand at room temperature for 2 hours to develop a bloom.
I think no matter how you tackle it, with your vast experience it'll be excellent. :)

pikeman_95

as  reply to this post you might like to look at my bucket mixer design. You can get a very good mix in less then a minute. just click on the picture. 30# mixed in 45 seconds.