Question about pepperoni

Started by Scottie's Gourmet Meats, January 07, 2011, 08:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

So I'm curious what will happen if I use a super lean burger to make my pepperoni with? I don't use pork and I'd like to make it as lean as possible. Any possible negative side effects of this?
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Scottie's Gourmet Meats on January 07, 2011, 08:41:27 AM
So I'm curious what will happen if I use a super lean burger to make my pepperoni with? I don't use pork and I'd like to make it as lean as possible. Any possible negative side effects of this?

Nope

I have done all beef pepperoni many times with 73/27 GB and even 80/20.

I still cant find the rule book where it says POKE IS A MUST USE  :D  ;D

Scottie's Gourmet Meats

Thanks for the response, but what I was actually wondering was what would happen if I used like 97/3. Go as absolutely lean as possible?
Scottie Gourmet Meats!

Habanero Smoker

If you  use Fermento, that will is a dairy based product and it should not only provide the tang, but give you an added benefit of retaining moisture. I've never made all beef pepperoni with such lean beef, so I couldn't tell you what the results would be. I usually use 80/20 like NePas.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pikeman_95

My guess is it is going to be a little tough. I have made venison frankfurters with out not enough fat and they turn out kind of tough and tend to get dry..

bundy

My guess would be DRY! I'm struggling with 99.9% moose trying to get the fat content up.

Habanero Smoker

I just recalled that this summer I made all beef brat burgers sliders with 90% lean beef. I used the fat replacer that Sausage Maker sells. It keeps low fat ground meat moist, but the texture was not like a burger, but more like biting into cooked whole muscle meat. Which may be a good thing for pepperoni. I just took a look at their site and they recommend it for hamburgers, meat loaf, breakfast sausage, chorizo, Italian sausage, all types of fresh venison sausage, smoked sausages and salamis.

I would shoot Sausage Maker an email with a question on that product, but from my experience they are very slow to respond, you may want to call. It is a safe product made from oats.

Fat Replacer

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2011, 03:26:24 AM
I just recalled that this summer I made all beef brat burgers sliders with 90% lean beef. I used the fat replacer that Sausage Maker sells. It keeps low fat ground meat moist, but the texture was not like a burger, but more like biting into cooked whole muscle meat. Which may be a good thing for pepperoni. I just took a look at their site and they recommend it for hamburgers, meat loaf, breakfast sausage, chorizo, Italian sausage, all types of fresh venison sausage, smoked sausages and salamis.

I would shoot Sausage Maker an email with a question on that product, but from my experience they are very slow to respond, you may want to call. It is a safe product made from oats.

Fat Replacer

thanks Habs, I always wondered what the fat replacer was,  I am going to order some now. 

Habanero Smoker

Hi Deb;

In Rytek's book he states it is made from oats. To make sure I pulled my jar out of the cupboard, believing it was oats I never read the ingredients. The first ingredient is Microcrystalline Cellulose (generally soluble wood pulp but it can be derived from other sources so it should be oats), second ingredient is Konjac (soluble fiber used as a thickener) which is frequently used in Japanese cuisine; and Xanthan (common thickener found in most salad dressings or in gluten free foods).

I hope that doesn't scare you off.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2011, 01:30:15 PM
Hi Deb;

In Rytek's book he states it is made from oats. To make sure I pulled my jar out of the cupboard, believing it was oats I never read the ingredients. The first ingredient is Microcrystalline Cellulose (generally soluble wood pulp but it can be derived from other sources so it should be oats), second ingredient is Konjac (soluble fiber used as a thickener) which is frequently used in Japanese cuisine; and Xanthan (common thickener found in most salad dressings or in gluten free foods).

I hope that doesn't scare you off.

Hey Habs,

sorry I missed this.... I ordered some and got it the other day.  I'm undecided on whether it scares me......  maybe I'll try grinding up some oats and use in similar quantity..... I do use oats in place of breadcrumbs for meatloaf and it helps keep even turkey meatloaf moist.......

Habanero Smoker

That would be a good alternative. My mother use to use oats in here meatloaf to keep it moist. I'm pretty sure the main ingredient is from oats. Sausage Maker's seems to lable their products with the chemical name instead of from the source the product was made from. For example their Fermento; although it is buttermilk powder, they listed ingredients are - Cultured Whey Protein Concentrate, Cultured Skim Milk.

But I have used the fat replacer in the past, and it doesn't alter the taste just the texture. Using it in ground meat the hamburgers keep their shape a lot better. I now use it every time I make sliders.

I
         don't
                   inhale.