Gun Powder Seasoning

Started by SnellySmokesEm, January 23, 2011, 06:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

If you ship it via the USPS it should be $10.50 in one of them if it fits it ships boxes. After calling four different stores I did finally get one to say they would send it to me but they needed to talk to the manager first. Of course none of them would tell me what was in it. As for it showing up in the newsletter??? Whats a newsletter?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

You tasted this stuff Chris?  Man, it's good.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: KyNola on January 26, 2011, 01:34:02 PM
You tasted this stuff Chris?  Man, it's good.
Yes I have!! That's why I am ordering a 5 pound bag

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

If worse comes to worse you can send them USPS priority mail. It should fit in a medium flat rate box for $10.75
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Man, Tommy, Gus and I may have missed out on National Distributorship opportunity here?   ;)

GusRobin

need someone to try to clone it
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

Tenpoint5

Quote from: GusRobin on January 26, 2011, 03:19:49 PM
need someone to try to clone it

The thought has crossed my  mind, But the flavors are really complex and hard to determine. Heck 10.5 1/4 says it tastes like chicken to her!!

GusRobin

The Ingredients listed:

Gunpowder: "salt, MSG, dehydrated onion, garlic spices, natural flavor, black pepper, spice extractives, lessthan 2% tricalcium phosphate, added as an anti-caking agent".

Now your guess as to what the hell "natural flavor" and "spice extractives" are as good as any.

NePaSmoKer

Does it have charcoal powder in it?

Sent from my HTC Liberty using Tapatalk

KyNola

Don't know if it has charcoal powder in it or not but it's black as charcoal.  It has to have something to add the black color to it as it doesn't have an overabundance of black pepper in it.  As dark as mine is, if it were all black pepper making it that dark, it would be inedible. 

One thing I'm betting it does have in it is Hickory Smoke Powder and that's not black either..

jiggerjams

Hmm maybe black mustard seed ground?

squirtthecat

This is interesting.  You take a spice (like black pepper) and boil it in water.   The resulting oil smells like black pepper, but doesn't have the bite.

SL2010

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on January 23, 2011, 06:44:08 AM
Got a Box from TMB yesterday with some gun powder seasoning!  This stuff is gonna rock!  Thanks Tommy!

i found this on line does it seem like what you got
GUN POWDER SEASONING
By Steve Elke

3 tablespoons Chili Powder
2 ½ tablespoons Paprika
2 tablespoons Salt
2 tablespoons Garlic Powder
1 tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
1 tablespoon Onion Powder
1 tablespoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
1 tablespoon Ground Chipotle Chili Pepper
1 tablespoon Ground Oregano
1 tablespoon Ground Thyme

i am trying to find a clone of it

BuyLowSellHigh

I haven't tasted the GP, but I have some thoughts based upon what has been described here and what I know about some other products used in the food service industry (e.g., restaurants).

There are three things that strike me about GP : MSG as the second ingredient, and the natural flavor, and finally price.

MSG - it is very unusual to see MSG as the second ingredient on a spice blend label.  Since the ingredients should be listed in order of weight percent, that suggests a fairly high level of MSG, certainly greater than 2%. 

Natural flavor - I am going to go out on a limb and suggest that the "natural flavor" is probably in the grill flavor category.  There are a number of flavor companies that produce flavor concentrates for the food prep industry.  Both Red Arrow and Kraft produce lines of natural grill flavors that are designed to emulate the flavor imparted by grilling.  Some of them get quite complex, adding specific smoke flavors, a seared taste note, grill scraping, etc.  as well as the base grill flavor.  The starting pint for many grill flavors is simply pyrolysis (controlled burning) of vegetable oils.  As an example of some of the flavors available, here is a link to Red Arrow's Grill Flavor line;  a link to Kraft's Natural Grill Flavor line and their Specialty Grill Flavor products.

These kinds of intense flavor additives are so effective they are typically used at the well less than the 1% level.

A spice blend made by McCormick produced for and sold to the  food service industry (i.e., not the retail consumer) that uses "natural grill flavor" is their Char Broil and Grill Seasoning.  You can get the idea of what it's about here.

The combination of something like a grill flavor with a high level of MSG would likely give a fairly complex taste profile that would be hard to pick apart unless you are a flavorist.

Price - At $3.99/lb the price of GP is on the very cheap end of spice blends.  That suggests there isn't much of anything exotic or expensive in it.

As for charcoal - I doubt it.  I don't believe charcoal is approved for use as a direct food additive (activated charcoal is used as a filter medium in food processing).

Finally, since there are no color additives declared the black has to come from the other ingredients.

Here's a question for the AL crew - does the store make this stuff, or are they repackaging a blend they buy ?  The reason I ask is the label ingredients suggest a level of spice blending sophistication beyond what I would expect for a grocery store, and certainly not something likely done at the local store level.  Maybe you can find out a bit more by asking them where it's made ?
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

TTNuge

Personally I am usually not too concerned about the use of MSG in certain things.  But having this listed as the second ingredient I'm wondering if I should be a bit more concerned than usual or not.

Also, wasn't there talk of trying to get a group buy going on this or at least the ability to order it direct?  I haven't had time to keep up on all the forum chatter so I apologize if that has been discussed elsewhere.

Thanks,
Trent