• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Butt for a party. Need help timing it right and marinade injection ?

Started by Gaston Guy, January 26, 2011, 06:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston Guy

I am smoking just my 2nd butt in my new smoker and thought it would be ambitious (silly me) to have an office party with some of my Q and fixens.  My first butt at only 5l bs took over 19 hrs.  Not sure why but it did and it was good.  This one is 9 lbs so I have a few questions that I hope you experienced smokers can assist me with.  Shooting for a Friday 12:30 lunch.

1.  What time should I put my butt in on Thurday?  Was thinking of 8:30am so I could FTC the next morning.  Then bring it to work in the cooler and pull at the office.

2.  If it cooks faster and is ready real early Friday morning, can I FTC for more than 3 hrs? Or if it is done early, do I FTC, pull the pork, cover with foil, refrigerate, and then warm up at lunch?

3.  Lastly, I bought an injector yesterday.  Thinking of injecting apple juice, apple juice/apple vinegar mix, or even Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade.  I have used the Lawry's steak and chop to marinate pork loins overnight when grilling and get rave reviews but never injected into a butt.  Anybody use that or can you provide me injection recommendation?

Thanks guys.  GG

Caneyscud

I would expect it to take 18 hours of less.  But other will cook at a lower temp than I do, and they regularly do them 20 -24 hours.  So your plan would work.  Maybe 5 or 6 hours max on the FTC.  You just don't want it to get below 140 or so.  If it finishes real early - yes FTC for a while, but then I'd pull before leaving for work, put it in a refrigerator and heat it back up in a crockpot or a microwave.  Some of this is not per Gov't or Extension Service Guidelines, but has worked for me. 

Cannot help you with the injecting - I don't do injecting.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KyNola

8:30 Thursday morning sounds about right.   Once the smoking period is over, dump the water bowl and refill with boiling hot water.  Don't open the smoker again until you're ready to remove the butt.  If your Bradley is having trouble holding the cooking temp, you can always transfer the butt to your house oven set at 225.  Just sit the butt on a rack in a roasting pan.  I personally don't foil it while in the oven as I like for the bark to really "set".  I also don't put any liquid in the roasting pan.

Yes you can FTC for longer than 3 hours.  Just make sure everything remains tightly wrapped and don't go peeking in the cooler.  

I don't inject butts but I have seen guys mix some of their rub in apple juice and inject it.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited--Sorry Caney, you type faster than me.

FLBentRider

Sounds like a plan.

I have held butts in FTC for 6-7 hours.

How big is your office? It takes at least 2 butts to make my department happy.

I haven't injected butts either.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

I have done an injection on a few butts, normally use a butter creole that is store bought.
the thing with injecting is that it seems to give the inside of the roast a more mushy texture than one that is not pumped.
Also i would be careful using vinegar in an injection due to the fact that the acidity may cause even more of a mush texture.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Gaston Guy

WOW, four quick responses to my questions and from experienced smokers.  I have read posts from all four of you in the past and certainly respect your opinions.  OK, I think I will pass on the injections this go round and try that on something else.  Thanks so much for your assistance as I already feel more confident with this smoking session!  GG

FLBentRider

Also, If you're cooking around 200-225F and it gets done early, there really is no harm in leaving it in the smoker for another few hours.

I've had butts go as high as 210F and they were still awesome.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gaston Guy

Hey Rider,

We have just 7 of us at the office so I think a 9lb er should suffice.  I know all about shrikage but I think we will have leftovers.  GG  

KyNola

Should yield around 5.75-6 pounds of finished product.  For 7 people you should be good to go.

You can definitely handle this.  We'll be standing by if you need anything but you won't need us.

squirtthecat

Bring in some dinner rolls (also known as dollar rolls) for Pulled Pork sliders.   That will make the meat go a little farther..

Sauce on the side!

Gaston Guy

Caney,

When you FTC,  do you put any liquid either on the butt or in the foil before wrapping it up or just wrap it up?

KyNola

I'm not Caney but I put no added liquid on the butt nor add to the foil.  I don't find that it requires it.  The butt will be plenty moist, trust me.

Gaston Guy

Great idea Squirt.  I did have some last night (from my first butt) on a potato roll with bone sucking sauce.  Delicious!!

Caneyscud

And just be glad you ain't Caney!  The pressure of being Caney can be horrendous - and it takes a lot to keep up the ugliness!

I'm rock solid with KyNola - I don't add any liquid either.  Butts are plenty moist and will have plenty of their own juices. (edit) And then again, I sometime don't F and don't think I've T'd either.  Just stick them nekkid in one of those good 5-day coolers.  That is all I do with that cooler - and talk about smelling GGGOOOOOOOOODDDDDD!

And I agree with FLBR on continuing the cook.  However, I will lower the temperature to say 180 to 190 or so.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smokeville

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 26, 2011, 07:27:30 AM

Bring in some dinner rolls (also known as dollar rolls) for Pulled Pork sliders.   That will make the meat go a little farther..

Sauce on the side!

Great idea! I don't know if these are common in the States, but we use little pitas which are about 2" wide. The pork goes in the pocket with a little dab of sauce....

Now I'm hungry...

Rich