Official: School children prefer Jan's Rub over recess..

Started by squirtthecat, January 26, 2011, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

MrsSTC's kids asked that I make them some chicken drumsticks like I did for last year's class.

The weather has been marginal, so I took the lazy route..   Cut open 15 pounds of drumsticks, dusted one side with Jan's Rub, dumped on the MAK, dusted the other side with Jan's Rub, jammed some Maverick probes in, shut the lid, set the controller at 245° and went inside.

2.5 hours later I pulled them at 165-170°.

Seriously, I didn't nothing but coat them with Jan's Rub and toss in the smoker.

She took them in today (along with a Sam's veggie tray) for lunch.   I filled my big 8 quart slow cooker w/ drumsticks, and sent along 1/2 of a gallon bag with the ones that didn't fit.

They had a field trip this morning, and got back to school late and missed the 'scheduled' lunch hour + recess time.   Of course, they started to complain about missing recess, but they all settled down as she started serving up plates of drumsticks.

[silence]

[silence]

[silence]

[Hands shoot up]

MrsC, this is *better* than recess...........

And there you have it!

classicrockgriller

;D That Funny!

Nice going STC.

You probably picked up a few young admirers after that meal.

Tenpoint5

You do realize you just started an annual thing in Mrs C's classroom. The Mr. C's chicken day after the field trip. I really don't think it will bother you any. It's great the support you give the school Squirt.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Now that would have been a sight to see.

All them little people and.......silence.  :o

wyoduke

1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

monty

betcha a few kids will have MAK on their Christmas lists this year  ;D
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

smoker pete

I'd miss recess too for a couple of those Squirt!!  Great job ...

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

DTAggie

hmm Mrs. Aggie is a teacher in 2nd grade.  I am afraid if I do that then I would have even more of the neighborhood begging to smoke for them..Great job STC

steve-o

TestRocket

I love a good scientific study, especially one involving kids, drumsticks and recess. Nice results!  ;D

squirtthecat

Now they want chili one day, as I'm not in the school's Chili Cookoff this year..

Anybody have a favorite White Chili recipe?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 27, 2011, 06:02:39 AM

Now they want chili one day, as I'm not in the school's Chili Cookoff this year..

Anybody have a favorite White Chili recipe?

Thats in the secret folder  :D

jiggerjams

I have this one from Emeril Lagasse. Feel free to make it your own by adding or omitting ingredients. Comes with a great south west seasoning recipe too.

Turkey and White Bean Chili Recipe

* 1/2 pound dried navy beans, picked over
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 2 cups chopped yellow onion
    * 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
    * 2 tablespoons minced garlic
    * 2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
    * 2 tablespoons Emeril's Southwest Essence, recipe follows
    * 1 2/3 tablespoons chili powder
    * 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
    * 1 bay leaf
    * 3 tablespoons cornmeal
    * 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    * 2 (10-ounce) cans Ro'tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles (original), undrained
    * 2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles, undrained
    * 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro stems
    * 1/4 cup heavy cream
    * 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    * Sour cream, for serving
    * Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
    * Chopped green onions, for serving

Directions

In a large kettle, soak beans in cold water to cover by 2 inches overnight. Drain beans in a colander and return to kettle with enough water to cover by 2 inches. Cook beans at a bare simmer until just tender, about 1 hour, and drain in a colander.

In a skillet, heat the oil and saute the onion and jalapeno until soft and beginning to caramelize, 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the ground turkey, Southwest Essence, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano, and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until turkey is browned and cooked through, 6 minutes. Add the cornmeal and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, canned tomatoes, canned chiles, and cilantro stems and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. After it has cooked for 30 minutes, add the cooked beans. Add the heavy cream and cilantro leaves and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes longer.

Serve the chili in deep bowls, garnished with dollops of sour cream, grated Cheddar cheese, and green onions to taste.

Emeril's Southwest Seasoning:

* 2 tablespoons chili powder
    * 2 teaspoons ground cumin
    * 2 tablespoons paprika
    * 1 teaspoon black pepper
    * 1 tablespoon ground coriander
    * 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    * 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * 1 tablespoon dried oregano

Combine all ingredients thoroughly.

Caneyscud

Great story STC.  As has been mentioned before. - you do know you have an annual duty now!

White chili - what the heck is that!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"