Smoked Tofu?

Started by JF7FSU, January 27, 2011, 07:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Has anyone smoked Tofu?  I have a friend who eats it and wanted to surprise her with a smoked version.  Any ideas? Cold smoked? Hot smoked?  I imagine it would absorb the smoke nicely since it is so porous and soft.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

RAF128

Quote from: JF7FSU on January 27, 2011, 07:00:02 PM
Has anyone smoked Tofu? 

Nope, I find it's too hard to light.    ;).   Sorry, I couldn't resist.

JF7FSU

LOL - bring it on  :o.  I read an old thread but no one nailed down hot or cold smoke and for how long.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Sorce

Never smoked it, however one time I did make General Tso's Tofu. My sister is a vegetarian and I was making General Tso's Chicken, it seemed logical and she seemed to like it.

DTAggie

howlin

i say smoke it all ;D,cold smoke it def ,id try a fruit wood like cherry,do it like cheese 1 ,2 hours tops.if anything is going to make tofu palatable it will be smoking it.let us know how it turns out.
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

Smokin Soon

Ok Tommy, better jump in here, I know you have done it.......for me it's just a big lump of nothing!

Habanero Smoker

Yes! I have smoked it many times. I have a vegan friend who asked me to smoke tofu for her. She moved so I haven't smoked any in a few years.

The trick is to get extra firm tofu packed in water, and freeze it for several days. Some like to freeze it in it's original packaging, but I like to remove it from the liquid, place them in freezer Ziploc bags and then freeze for at least one day, but I like to freeze 4 - 7 days. Don't get concerned when it turns a yellowish color. The freezing changes the texture, and because water expands, it creates many sponge like cells throughout the tofu.

Next you need to thaw them. Then lay them on several sheet of news paper covered with a couple of layers of paper towels. Place more layers of paper towels on top of the tofu, then place a sheet pan on top of that. Add some weight such as books, or cans of food. This forces out most of the water, about 30 minutes should be good.

Now find out what her/his favorite tofu marinade, and use that recipe to prepare the tofu for smoking. Once marinated pat dry; now you can cut it into smaller blocks but how you cut it up depend on how it will be used in the final recipe. I generally cut it into half or thirds. If you plan on using it in salads, or going to fry it it is best that you cold smoke it; but you can also hot smoke at 220°F - 260°F. When cold smoking you don't have to detach the generator because if you go over 100°F it will not harm anything. I generally apply about 2 hours of smoke, and my go to bisquette for vegetable and tofu is pecan. Unlike cheese, it doesn't require any time for aging, but I find 24 - 48 hours does improve the flavor.

Once smoked use it as indicated in your recipe.

Here is a recipe for Tofu Bacon. It's fairly good, just don't over fry the tofu or it will become dry and powdery when you bite into it. You don't have to slice it and fry. You can use it as directed in recipes calling for tofu.
Smoked Tofu Bacon

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TMB

SS your right I'm jumping in!!  I have smoked tofu for my bride many times, she loves it.  I start by soaking tofu in soy sauce for 12 to 24 hrs then place in a smoker for what ever time it takes to get the moister out and the tofu to feel like firm meat.

I'll look for a picture of it, hey Kimmie likes it and that's all that matters!  ;)
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!