Easy Almond Recipe

Started by mlhawken, January 28, 2011, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mlhawken

I just wanted to share an easy recipe for almonds.

Soak almonds for 30 minutes in warm brine (4 table spoons sea salt per quart of H2O that is warm to the touch)
Don't bother drying.
Place one pound of almonds per rack over cheese cloth. When out of cheese cloth you can use aluminum foil with 6 or 8 small punched holes per opening in rack (Time consuming!)
Cold smoke with apple for 2 hours.
Raise temp to 160 deg for 40 min. to dry.  (If you get much above 200 deg the almonds will roast.  I prefer them raw.)

Almonds will have moderate to heavy smoke flavor and a very light salt taste (the almonds stay healthy).

Not fancy but addictive! :)

seemore

It sounds very good, and I think we are going to give this one a try.
Smoked almonds are ALWAYS a treat!
Thanks for the recipe!
Mrs

SoCalBuilder

Sounds like a plan. Have you tried it with other raw nuts? I assume that most nuts have about the same porosity. I'll be trying this soon

mlhawken

No I haven't tried any other nuts.  I want to try smoking some walnuts next.

micman

I did almonds also, but added a wasabi paste to the brine ( stirred it up till it was dissolved). Flavour was delicious with a little kick from the wasabi. My only mistake was I cooked them too long and they dried out, next time will add more wasabi and not cook as long.

mic

La Quinta

Nice...I have a whole bag of raw whole almonds that I have been staring at in the freezer...I'm gonna try this...Thanks

Quarlow

I make 8 lbs at a time and they don't last long. I have also done spanish peanuts for my dad and they were great. I also coated some spanish peanut and pistachio's with CT sauce and those were darn good too.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

seemore

mlhawken, if you try the walnuts, let me know how they turn out.
Mrs