Moink Balls for Superbowl

Started by matwell, February 01, 2011, 09:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matwell

I was thinking of making moink balls which are meatballs wrapped in bacon with a bbq glaze or pepper jelly added at the end of the cooking process. Has anyone ever made these in the Bradley? Anyone have any tried and true recipes? How many hours of smoke would u recommend for ground meat in the Bradley? Thanks.

DTAggie

Never have done them but have seen lots of posts on them.  Search Moink Balls and you will find plenty of info.

Sorce

I did them for the 4th of July. I just did 1 hr of hickory. They were a big hit. They were better after the smoke had a chance to mellow. I used pre cooked meatballs from Sams.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

matwell

Sorce,

What did you think of the pre made meatballs? I looked at the pre made meatballs at costco and was amazed with how much salt they had. I was thinking of making my own to keep the salt down a little bit. Did you baste them with any bbq sauce or just plain? What temp would you recommend to get the bacon to be somewhat crisp? Lastly, approximately how long did they take? Thanks Sorry about all the questions.

Caneyscud

I'm not Sorce, but I have made many moinkballs on all types of smokers and grills.  Frozen meatballs were the original idea - to save time.  If sodium is a problem, then by all means make your own.  I've even made them out of breakfast sausage, of turkey sausage, of bulk chorizo, of bulk bratwurst, and just plain hamburger.  One key is to use thin bacon, so that it gets cooked enough - only need about a 1/2 slice per ball.  The bacon will not be crisp, especially in the Bradley, but the taste will be there.  The greatest variable and the key to a successful moinkball is the rub and the sauce.  Rub - use what you like, but make sure it "fits" with the sauce.  Typically, I use one with a little bit of a chili pepper kick - don't need one with a lot of "flavor" as you have flavor in the meatballs, bacon, smoke, and the sauce.  As far as saucing I usually just glaze them with a thinned down sauce (usually 2 coats), but no reason not to sauce them.  As far as what sauce - hey - the sky's the limit.  Last couple of times I've made some with a combination "Sweet Heat Chipotle Sauce" from Krogers, some Coco Lopez Coconut Cream, and some crushed pineapple.  Sorta reminded me of the breeze off KaHuna's Island - sorta tropical.  The female types loved them - actually the guys did also.  Typically, I'll do either a bourbon/jalapeno bbq sauce glaze, a thinned down (with beer) store bought bbq sauce, a mixture of bbq sauce and some liquid guacamole mix from Krogers, or I use some of my Hill country mop.  Have been wanting to try a white sauce or a pizza sauce, but have not.  Nor have I tried CT yet.  Timing is however long it takes to get your bacon done enough - the thicker the longer.  Probably between 1 and 2 hours if using precooked meatballs.  Temp in Bradley would be as hot as you can get - but again will probably not crisp - but will be done and tasty.

Oh yea, have also used melted hot pepper jelly and melted raspberry jelly as a glaze.  Pretty good. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TestRocket

I used the frozen meatballs and cook them in the oven per the instructions. After they cooled I wrapped them with the bacon and a dusting of rub. I then smoked them in the Bradley for an hour to an hour and twenty minutes and then sauced with a 50/50 mix of BBQ sauce and grape jelly that had been simmered together on the stove.  Then I put them on a hot grill for about 10-15 minutes to set the sauce and help crisp up the bacon. They were very good!  ;D

Sorce

Caney's got you taken care of. I used BBQ rub with the meatballs, wrapped in bacon into the smoker until the bacon was crisp. A few weren't as crisp as I wanted so they went to the grill to finish up. Covered them in KC masterpiece then back in the smoker to let the sauce set a bit.

DTAggie

Think I may do these instead of the ABTs for the super bowl.  I am thinking frozen balls, that I will cook first.  Wrap in thin bacon then some sort of rub out of the many in the pantry.  Whip up some Sweet Baby Rays and some Jalapeno Jelly someone gave me to glaze with.

wyoduke

I take frozen meat balls coat with CT and wrap with bacon and put them in the smoker tell the bacon is crisp and they are outstanding.all i use is apple pucks on mine,there is a lot of ways to skin a cat ;D
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill