Billy Bob Que & Molasses Butt

Started by BuyLowSellHigh, February 05, 2011, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuyLowSellHigh

Time to cooking ready for a Super Bowl feast.  At the head of the lineup is a Super Butt.

Back before Christmas SouthernSmoked sent me a package of goodies that included his amazing, entrepreneurial daughter's Billy Bob's Que rubs. 

Finger test report was, "Wow, this is some seriously good stuff!".  Immediately decided to save these for Super Bowl smoking.  Thanks, Mark !

I've been wanting to try KyNola's molasses slather treatment for a butt.  Seemed like the right time.  Got a big butt, an even 9 lbs after trimming all the fat cap.  First seasoned with Billy Bob's Que BBQ Butt Rub, wrapped and stashed for ~ 12 hrs, then a molasses slather and more Billy Bob's, ready for smoke.

Into the six rack at ~ 230 °F, gave it 5 hours of hickory smoke, then let it roll.  Due to technical difficulties with my ET-73 (probe temp off by ~ 35 °F) and time of the night, I moved it from the DBS to the kitchen oven after 11.5 hours.  Another 4 hrs at 240 °F in the oven and IT was 197 °.  Here it is after the cooking, headed for FTC.

Four hours in FTC and IT was a very warm 155 °F.  Time to pull.  This butt pulled so easily and so well.  Cooks testers were awesome - I don't think it can get much better than this.  After this the molasses slather will be the norm.  If you haven't tried this yet I highly recommend it.

All done, had 5lbs 3 oz of beautiful pulled pork that is now resting until tomorrow.

As I typed this it just dawned on me -- maybe this should be the Kentucky Butt ? 

Thanks Mark and Larry !

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

classicrockgriller

Yes Sir! It does look mighty Good!

Maybe a M&M Butt.

SoCalBuilder

That thing was purty before it went in the smoker! I'll have to try the molasses trick. I've got my first shot at maple soaked Canadian bacon in the OBS as we speak. Couple of spatchcoked chicks tomorrow!

DTAggie

Now that is some good looking butt!

OldHickory

That is a "super butt" and it looks great.  We will be having Baby Back Ribs tomorrow with ABT's, salad munchies and dip, homemade salsa and chips.  Just my wife and I, we like to watch the game.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

SouthernSmoked

Heck Yeah! That Kentucky butt looks awesome!!

I agree that butt was a thing of beauty before going into the smoker!

Pulled and ready to go. That's going to be one heck of the Super Bowl party .

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

Yeah buddy!  Kentucky butt works for me.  Looks good BLSH.  Beautiful color before going in the smoker.  No fat cap really helps the bark "set" and the meat is still plenty loist.

Way to go BLSH and thank you.

OU812

Oh Ya!!

That there is one gooood lookin hunk of pork.

The molasses really gives it a dark bark and the pile of pulled pork just makes my mouth watter.