Brisket and Rib cook time

Started by electricshaman, February 05, 2011, 09:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricshaman

Hey Everyone.
I am going to smoke a 5# brisket and 2 racks of ribs for tomorrow's Super Bowl.  Would like them ready for game time 530ish central.  Any suggestions on smoke/cook time for the both. 
Thanks

GusRobin

at 225-230 ribs about 6 hrs; brisket anywhere from 6 -10 hours plus a couple of hours to FTC
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

DTAggie

Gus has you set up.  Give yourself plenty of time on the brisket.  You can always FTC for a few hours if it is ready ahead of time.

TedEbear

What kind of ribs?  If they're baby back I use the 2-1-1 method.  Two hours of nothing but smoke and heat,  1 hour sealed in foil with 1/2 cup apple juice and 1 hour bare on the rack to firm them up.  The last 20 minutes gets a coating of Vermont Pig Candy, made partially from the apple juice and rib drippings.  Cooking temp for each stage is kept at 225*F.

I did this last week and they turned out almost perfect.  Next time I think I'm going to try a 2-1.5-1 method and a bit more spice in the dry rub and Pig Candy.  My wife thinks they're already too spicy.  I and a dinner guest thought they could use a little more kick.

I've read that regular spare ribs should use the 3-2-1 method.  Same process at each stage, just longer cooking times.