arcs_n_sparks

Started by Oldman, August 21, 2005, 04:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phone Guy

I am an anti environmentalist. I think we can do with a lot less of them. I also am a proponent of nuclear energy. I don't believe there has been as many deaths (in the USA)caused by nuclear power plants as there has been by petrolium products. Look at the environmental impacts of an oil spill. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's the end of the world if a spill happens. Our earth was designed to clean itself up in a matter of time. I think we should have nuclear powered autos also. Yea I know the uranium could pose a problem.. But if you built the little reactors out of the same stuff as the Black Boxes on airplanes what could go wrong?[:D]

Seriously I think the media and the environmentalist groups have put this fear of nuclear energy in people thats hard to over come.

MallardWacker

This reminded me of something my DAD told me about many years ago that he heard a local news person say during a heat wave that SoCal was experiancing where a number of people had died.

"All you Jane Fonda fans:  Solar Energy-four deaths, Nuclear zero"

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Phone Guy

Want to reduce our oil consumption? Check these facts..

Nuclear Power
Conserving Resources with Nuclear Power

Did you know that nuclear power is one of the cleanest ways to produce electricity? Nuclear power plants do not burn fuel. Instead, they use fissioning uranium atoms to produce the heat needed to operate the plant.

Nuclear power plants do not produce airborne emissions like carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide or nitrogen oxide. In fact, between 1973 and 1989, using nuclear power to produce electricity reduced worldwide C02 emissions by over 13 billion tons! Countries like France that rely heavily on nuclear power generally have much lower carbon dioxide emissions than countries relying on fossil fuels.

Using nuclear power has enabled us to use our fossil fuels more sparingly. Since 1973, <b>nuclear power has reduced the use of oil for electricity by 17.6 billion barrels</b>, coal by 2.2 billion tons and natural gas by 26 trillion cubic feet.

http://www.dukepower.com/community/learningcenter/conservation/nuclear.asp

nsxbill

I am sure that Olds is working on a nuclear heater and fan assembly for our Bradley smokers right now, and I am sure we will be able crisp that skin on the chicken when it is finished.  Our pets that are hanging out waiting for us to drop something will all have 5 or 6 legs, two tails and a cyclops eye in the middle of their foreheads.[:D][:D]

I personally would like more research done with Solar.  The reactor at Rancho Seco is a life long tribute in my area to scientists not able to get it right.  Nuclear power plants will certainly save fossil fuels, but takes it toll on the enviroment in other ways that are far more difficult to manage.

Sun power and storage cells, although not as efficient in short term gain, certainly would be safer and less intrusive.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

I have to agree with Bill about nuclear power. You have Rancho Seco, here in New York we have Indian Point. What were these people thinking?!! Building a nuclear power plant on top of a fault line. I'm so lucky I am out of the 50 mile evacuation radius; I'm very fortunate that I'm in the 53 mile zone.[;)]

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Arcs_n_Sparks

Phone Guy,

You should like this web site: Adams Atomic Engines http://www.atomicengines.com/ The link to Atomic Energy Insights has some interesting reading.

For awhile I was working on a 100MW, 35-40 year life sealed core reactor. No refueling, so reduced proliferation danger and waste issues. Toshiba is working on a 40MW version for up in Alaska. Diesel electric power there is both expensive and dirty.

Arcs_n_Sparks

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>

The greatest end result of not having to use oil, beside taking back our real estate,  is we will no longer have kids dying in the Middle East.

We, errrr let's make that You-All of younger age, need to make this happen. It is your lifetime that will see the pivot. Not mine.

There is an old idea I live by. Save a Buck. One day there will be many dollars saved. If what we can do today will only shave off 10% of our need for oil... then one day there will be much that is no longer needed. Save a Buck!

You have to start somewhere.

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Words of wisdom to <u>live</u> by.....good on ya Olds

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />I am an anti environmentalist. I think we can do with a lot less of them. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

PG, Did you know that an evironmentalist is someone who works to protect the environment from destruction or pollution. I think we could use a lot more. Kinda keeps things on an even balance. Oh yeah I should add....I smoked 2 pink salmons today and made 'Indian Candy', or I should say the more politically correct term 'First Nations Candy'. It turned out great....[:)][;)]

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"