Smoke a Roast

Started by BigJohnT, February 09, 2011, 03:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

I just got 1/2 of a cow critter and still have roasts left from the last one... I'm not much on crock pot roast. I did some searching and saw some real nice photos of roasts soaked overnight then smoked to a nice pink finish.

What would be a good place to start with common ingredients that you might find in a meat eaters house?

John

classicrockgriller

Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder.

If you have some John Henry's Pecan Rub, that works great.

BigJohnT

SRG,

Would you marinate it overnight with the salt, pepper, garlic?

JT

jiggerjams

Marinading over night wouldn't be a problem but you might want to omit the salt until the last couple of hours or the salt will pull out too much moisture from the roast.

BigJohnT

Thanks, I'll have to see what I have in the pantry and toss a few things out.

What kind of smoke and for how long?

Thanks
John

jiggerjams

Oak and mesquite seem to be the go to smoke for beef but I think pecan, Special Blend, or Crown Royal would stand up to the beef. As for how long to cook it depends on what you want to do with the roast and what your cut is. I have read and seen pics on this forum of members making pulled beef and others that roll a couple of hours of smoke and then finish the roast else where like in the oven.

BigJohnT

I'd like to have it mouthwatering medium rare :) and slice it up. That's why I was thinking some kind of overnight marinade for it then some time in the smoker.

Thanks
John

BuyLowSellHigh

I am a big fan of Montreal Steak Seasoning (McCormick) on beef for roasting.

Season it well, wrap and refrigerate for 12-24 hours, then proceed.  Initially the salt will draw out moisture, but after ~ 6 hours it will be mostly reabsorbed, along with the seasoning.

If you don't have the McCormick blend, this copycat version is quite good:

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons Kosher salt
1 tablespoon coarse ground or cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon whole coriander seed

I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here