Smoking Fish Roe - any suggestions?

Started by Devonboy, February 15, 2011, 01:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devonboy

Has anyone hot smoked cods roe? I'm actually using pollock roe because it's more environmentally sound where i'm from in devon, uk.

Today I've used a simple 70% brine for 1 hour, dried the roe and hote smoked for 4 hours in a bradley digital smoker at 85 c. The roe has shrunk, taken on a deep red/orange colour and smells really good, though the skin looks quite leathery. I won't know how good until tomorrow when I make some taramasalata.

Interested in any views about longer brining or smoking. The roes were about 1lb each.
Eat in season

manxman

Hi Devonboy,

I have hot and cold smoked cod, haddock, whiting and pollock roe, the main problem has been getting hold of it and cod roe around here (Isle of Man) is like finding a hen with teeth!  We tend to throw most of the cod we catch back nowadays in any case for the reasons you outline.

With regards to hot smoking I have tried a variety of methods including not brining, hotter and cooler temps than you quote as well as variable smoke times.

I tend to brine roughly as you do (80% brine for 15 - 45 mins dep on size, whiting roe are small but probably 30 - 45 mins for the size you are using)

Dry thoroughly and leave overnight (12hrs) in fridge.

Then tend to cold smoke (<80C) for 90 mins - 120 mins then bring my OBS / Auber PID system up to about 95C (200F) and hot smoke for a couple of hours. I then wrap it in tin foil for 24 hours before use.

I have ended up with very leathery skin on one occasions and had to scrape the eggs out, however on most occsions the skin has been edible!!  ;)

I have never made taramasalata so if you fancy posting the recipe I would be grateful.  :)

Hope this helps?
Manxman

Caneyscud

This intrigues me.  Probably not able to find haddock, pollock or cod roe here in Tennessee, but Crappie season is upon us - wonder if smoked crappie roe is good?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

manxman

Quotewonder if smoked crappie roe is good?

I think it would be worth a try, smoked fish roe is one of my favourites!!  :)
Manxman

Devonboy

Hi Manxman,
Thanks for that, I like the idea of cold smoking before hot smoking. I'm pretty sure a couple of hours is about right. I've got a great recope for tara which I will post in a couple of days. The best part of smoking your own is that tara shouldnt be pink which is what sell in the super markets. I will have made tara by the weekend so I will post results and recipe.
Eat in season