Need HELP with snack sticks, PLEASE

Started by seemore, February 16, 2011, 05:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Hey I am going to make some snack sticks this weekend.  of the ingredients for this recipe, there are two I have not been able to get hold of:  phosphate and sodium erythorbate.
I even spoke to a local butcher who told me that I could substitute citric acid for the sodium erythorbate.  I don't know what to do.
Is there somewhere I can get  these two ingredients?  This particular butcher told me he did not have them available.  Or, if I can't find these two ingredients, can I substitute, such as citric acid for the sodium erythorbate?
thanks
seemore

lumpy

You could use fermento or encapsulated citric acid for sodium erythorbate.

I don't use any of those ingredients for sticks..........I do use ECA or fermento for salami or summer sausage.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

And I think Nepas has said you can use buttermilk as a substitute for ECA..

NePaSmoKer

Seemore's

You dont need either.

Just use cure #1 or MTQ.

You prob have seen little cans of citric acid in the stores by the pie making stuff or canning area? Dont be tempted to use it as to much powdered CA can make the meat crumble in the casing.

ECA is good or if you cant get any of the sort of tangy add ins, go grab some buttermilk and use it in place of the water.

Friar_Tuck

If you use the cure #1, just a level teaspoon for every 5 Lbs of meat.
Jim

seemore

Thanks, everybody, for the advice! 
Nepas, we have some absorbic acid;  in fact we had to buy it from the PHARMACY department of the grocery store where we shop.
Regarding the buttermilk, the particular recipe I am looking at calls for 1 cup of water.  I will use the buttermilk as you advised, so would I use 1 cup of buttermilk, in place of the water?
I had every intention of making these sticks this Saturday, but then I remembered that I am taking the wife out to dinner for a late Valentines Day celebration.
So, hopefully I will be making these on Sunday.
Until my NEXT question, thanks!!
seemore

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: seemore on February 17, 2011, 05:39:26 PM
Thanks, everybody, for the advice! 
Nepas, we have some absorbic acid;  in fact we had to buy it from the PHARMACY department of the grocery store where we shop.
Regarding the buttermilk, the particular recipe I am looking at calls for 1 cup of water.  I will use the buttermilk as you advised, so would I use 1 cup of buttermilk, in place of the water?
I had every intention of making these sticks this Saturday, but then I remembered that I am taking the wife out to dinner for a late Valentines Day celebration.
So, hopefully I will be making these on Sunday.
Until my NEXT question, thanks!!
seemore

Yes use the BM instead of the water. I would kinda be hesitant on the AA from the pharmacy?  That could really mess the meat up if not used in the right way.

seemore