Bottled sauce

Started by SiFumar, February 18, 2011, 02:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

Does anyone have a recommendation for a bottled sauce that is not sweet?  I usually make my Dads recipe that has been in the family for at least 45 yrs.  It makes a gallon and I bottle and freeze it.  But sometimes I would like a change.  When I buy, usually it has been Mike Mills Championship sauce...but again looking for a change.  Nevada is not a hot spot for good sauces.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you!

FLBentRider

Stubbs is not as sweet as some of them out there.

Starnes - but you'll have to get someone near Paducah, KY to ship it to you, definitely is not sweet.

If you like vinegar, try the vaunted vinegar on the recipe site. You can get there by clicking on the food at the bottom of this post.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Quarlow

I opened a bottle of "Georges Old Time BBQ sauce" that someone from the forum gave me. This is were my bad memory kicks in. I think it was CRG but if I am wrong please correct me. Anyway it is a very nice sauce that is not sweet with just a bit of kick to it. Very tasty and enjoyable.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DTAggie

Stubbs will do you right.  Not sure you have it where you are.  Starnes is without a doubt the most kick a** out there!

Quarlow

I saw they had sweet baby rays in one of our grocery stores lastnight. Heard talk of it here but never thought i'd see it here. It is probably very sweet but I will try it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Smokin Soon

Ever make you own Mike Mill's sauce? I love it cause it's got BACON in it!

DADAKOTA

squirtthecat

Bandana's BBQ out of St Louis has a Memphis-style sauce (1/2 tomato based, 1/2 vinegar base) that I really like.  I don't do the sweet sauces and it is perfect for that... 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Quarlow on February 18, 2011, 09:18:16 PM
I saw they had sweet baby rays in one of our grocery stores lastnight. Heard talk of it here but never thought i'd see it here. It is probably very sweet but I will try it.

Sweet Baby Ray's is overly sweet for me. I had to cut it with vinegar in order to use it. Stubbs is a good not too sweet commercial sauce.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

monty

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 19, 2011, 01:39:35 AM
Quote from: Quarlow on February 18, 2011, 09:18:16 PM

Sweet Baby Ray's is overly sweet for me. I had to cut it with vinegar in order to use it. Stubbs is a good not too sweet commercial sauce.

+1

SBR also has a strong taste of liquid smoke as well - if you use it on smoked food from it does not mesh very well, IMO
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

SiFumar

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 18, 2011, 03:45:06 PM
Starnes - but you'll have to get someone near Paducah, KY to ship it to you, definitely is not sweet.

Don't know any body in KY anymore.  I do have a Starnes knock off I can try.  Tho kinda defeats the purpose of buying for a change lol.

Quote from: Smokin Soon on February 18, 2011, 09:22:46 PM
Ever make you own Mike Mill's sauce? I love it cause it's got BACON in it!

I have made it (I have his book).  It's not like what he sells here at his restaurant.  But similar and both equally tasty. 
Quote from: squirtthecat on February 18, 2011, 10:31:33 PM

Bandana's BBQ out of St Louis has a Memphis-style sauce (1/2 tomato based, 1/2 vinegar base) that I really like.  I don't do the sweet sauces and it is perfect for that... 

Sounds perfect!  Will have to see if someone online sells it.

I think I've seen Open Pit here....so will try that.  Tried SBR somewhere...just didn't like.

Will also look for Stubbs.

Thanks for suggestions.

Quarlow

Thanks for th 411 on the SBR Habs and Monty. Sounds like I wouldn't care for it too much. I don't mind sweet but the liquid smoke is something I don't really care for.

OBS
BBQ

SiFumar

So far have only found Stubbs Spicy.(Thanks FLBR)  Not bad at all.

Tenpoint5

Here's one from my neck of the woods. The main factory is in Western Iowa about 20 minutes from Tiny Tim. If Nothing else I highly recommend the flavor enhancer.

http://cookiesbbq.com/cookies_products.html
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!