Pork Loin??

Started by Lostonetoo, March 18, 2011, 05:08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lostonetoo

Okay, I did a search and this is what I'm going to try to do this bad boy.  I have a rub on it in the frig right now.  Plan on smoking this on Sunday.

Will smoke it at 200F to 225F, for 5 hours with 4 hours of smoke with apple or hickory until in internal temp is 150f of so.

Any other tips or ideas?

Thanks

Ka Honu

Apple and hickory are pretty different in terms of strength, taste, etc.  (Apple: light, fruity, sweet.  Hickory: strong, nutty, bacony)

I'd probably go with 2-3 hours of apple but that's just me.

ArnieM

I'd go for the apple too.  And watch the IT.  They can cook surprisingly fast.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

La Quinta

I'd go with apple too...although I am a hickory chick...but apple and pork are a natural pairing...

Lostonetoo

Thanks for the tips .  I might have to go with the apple.  So do I have the IT temp right, and cooking time?  It's about 5.5lb boneless pork loin. 

Thanks

ArnieM

The IT sounds good.  I'd try to keep the cabinet up to 210-225.  Leave the pork on the counter while you preheat the smoker.

I'd guess (been a while) at 3-3.5 hours total time without peeking.  If it's done early, FTC it for a while.  It should rest before carving anyway.

Again, watch the IT.

Let us know how you make out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

mow_delon

did one about a month ago, and as stated above, watch the IT.  I did three hours hickory and the loin was done like a half hour later.  Did not even take 4 hours total time in the smoker.  I set my smoker to 225 and left it there.  Turned out great.  Good luck!

Hiram

I've done a few loins, takes about 4 hrs, I'd suggest apple or pecan. Two hours of smoke for a loin is plenty, I usually can't taste the difference on a loin between 2 and 4 hrs of smoke.

Lostonetoo

Do I have the IT right, 150F?  So I'll keep an eye on that.  Should I plan on flipping it over during the smoke or just leave it?

Thanks

Tenpoint5

You wont need to flip it. I would also suggest draping Bacon over the top of the loin to help keep it moist so it doesn't dry out on you. Apply rub to loin then drape the bacon over the top and lightly apply another coat of rub. The bacon makes a nice snack on if your waiting on other dishes to finish for supper.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Lostonetoo

I like the bacon idea.  I take it that the smoke flavor will still get to the pork loin.  Also are you rapping the bacon all the way around the loin, or just a few strips over the top?

Tenpoint5

I just drape a few pieces over the top. I think the last one I did. I laid them 3 wide down the length of the loin.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!