New to Forum and Smoking

Started by locomotivejoe, February 19, 2011, 02:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locomotivejoe

Getting ready to Purchase my first Bradley Smoker. I've been looking for months, researching different brands/types. I initially decided on the Digital 6 rack, but after reading here and advice of friends. I think I'm going to switch to the 4 rack original and a dual probe pid because of temp. fluctuation of the digital smoker. I'm hoping the 4 rack will be enough room for what I'm using it for. Just butchered a hog last weekend and going to attempt to cure and smoke the bacon as my first trial run. Any input on the size limits of the 4 rack vs. the 6 rack? Looking forward to reading more posts for helpful advise.
Joe

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum. Both the 6 and 4 racks have temp fluctuations. PID controller on either will help to resolve that issue. I only have the original, but after reading inputs on this forum for the past 4 or 5 years now, I have noticed that there seems to be more issues with the digital models. I will say that the original with PID will probably cost you about the same as the digital without the PID. Can't help you much with the overall volume of the 6 rack.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum. I would say where you will miss the 6 rack is if you hang sausage or snack sticks. It is nice to have the extra height. As for other things like bacon you can get quite abit in a 4. But you won't get in as much for sure. If you have the funds, A 6 rack with the dual probe PID is a great set up and the PID fixes temp fluctuations just as well.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Jim O

Welcome to the forum.

I have a 4 rack and I find that's enough for me.

I've only used all 4 racks on occasion.

I guess what and how much you plan on smoking is an important factor.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Quarlow

Quote from: Jim O on February 19, 2011, 09:57:29 AM
Welcome to the forum.

I have a 4 rack and I find that's enough for me.

I've only used all 4 racks on occasion.

I guess what and how much you plan on smoking is an important factor.

Jim O
I agree. The only time I have filled mine OBS is with salmon and almonds.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

SoCalBuilder

Welcome Loco - I have the OBS with the Auber dual pid. It has done everything I need so far. I love making jerky and used to double up the racks so that I could get in eight. I just added a rail kit I got from one of the members here, and I now have a 12 rack. Can't wait to see how that works out when I load it up on the next jerky run.

locomotivejoe

Thanks for all the info and looking forward to reading more from everyones post and trying some of the great suggestions and recipes that have been posted.
Joe

ArnieM

I have the OBS and PID.  It meets my needs.  As suggested, though, if you need more height or room, the six rack would be the way to go.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

beefmann

loco,

the 4 rack will do 40 to 45 lbs of meat depending on the cut, However you to have to rotate the racks every hour and half.  Also if you limit the load of meat to less then 30 lbs and 3 racks its not as bad and less babysitting

Both are good units and congrats on deciding on a pid

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

kinyo

Quarlow

In my OBS 4 rack I can get about 27 lbs of salmon slabs in.

OBS
BBQ

Indy Smoker

I have a DBS 4 rack model.  A larger size may be helpful for only making sausage.  Keep in mind that if you go with a 6 and are planning on 'loading it up' the temp may be more difficult to hold, and you will be working the heating element more.  I have done jerky (doubled to 8 racks by flipping over), chicken, ribs, sausage, ABT's, and more and space has never been an issue. 

watchdog56