Cheese, Cheese, Cheese

Started by muebe, February 17, 2011, 08:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muebe

So I am smoking some cheese this morning. Going to give 3 hours of Maple. I also put some white sugar and Starbuck's coffee in coffee filters to smoke...Why you ask? Because I can ;D

I also added water to the water tray last night and left in the freezer to help keep the cabinet temps low ;)

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smoker pete

Good looking batch of cheese in that OBS muebe.  Will be interested in seeing how 3 hours of Maple turns out ... in about a month when you 'cut the cheese' ;D ;D

I have just always used 2 hours of Apple.  You'll soon be needing to get you a cold smoke adapter or build your own if you're going to make cheese into the spring/summer :-\

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

sage03

The cheese is going to be awesome...... Does the smoked sugar go into the smoked coffee...?!

muebe

Pete... I am not sure if you have seen my modified Bradley setup but it is great for cold smoking ;) I have a fan that cools the smoke generator piping that has heatsinks and with a thermostat that controls the fan to help keep cool cabinet temps. The generator is located a couple levels down from the cabinet.

Sage...I have never smoked coffee or sugar so I do not know the result but you do bring up a good point. "Double smoke latte please" ;D
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smoker pete

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Brisket Lover

sage03

Great looking set up muebe!!!.. still curious about the smoked coffee ;) ;) ;D ;D

muebe

Quote from: sage03 on February 17, 2011, 01:58:51 PM
Great looking set up muebe!!!.. still curious about the smoked coffee ;) ;) ;D ;D

So am I. I am going to let it rest for 2 weeks before I try it....

sage03

Let us know how it turns out...u may have a new specialty product for Starbucks.

EZ Smoker

Interesting... most of my friends that smoke coffee do it a different way.  First they drink it, then, instead of maple, they use Marlboro or Lucky Strike.   I'd like to hear more about your way though.  Let us know.
It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

OU812

That cheese is gonna be gooood,..... in about 2 weeks.  :D

Now about this stuff you call coffee, I havent found anything that makes it taste good.  ;D

devo

Quote from: OU812 on February 17, 2011, 03:23:17 PM
That cheese is gonna be gooood,..... in about 2 weeks.  :D

Now about this stuff you call coffee, I havent found anything that makes it taste good.  ;D

1 part Bailey's® Irish cream
1 part black coffee

Mix the hot coffee with Bailey's. Enjoy!

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

Ok guys for those of you who have been waiting on bated breath for me to try my smoked coffee...it is time. So I fired up my Keurig this morning and packed my k-cup filter with Maple smoked Starbuck's Komodo Dragon coffee and then added some half-n-half to the brew. I was surprised that it was actually very mellow. You could get a high smoke note when smelling the grounds but after brewing the cup and tasting it I found the smoke flavor was very suttle and seemed to blend with the coffee. Still tasted much like coffee with just a smoke note at the end. Then I added half a teaspoon of smoked sugar and that was the ticket. The note was still suttle with the sugar but more pronounced than before. I really think that I am on to something here. I am going to smoke some more sugar and coffee again now that the results are that good...time to brew another cup ;D