• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

GB Jerky Question

Started by CoreyMac, February 24, 2011, 02:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreyMac

I picked up a few different flavours of jerky seasoning to make on the weekend, the instructions are for sliced jerky. My question is, what is the procedure for using this with GB jerky? Do you mix in the spices with the beef before you run it through the extruder or do you make the jerky first and then let it soak in the seasoning?

Thanks for the info

Corey

MidKnightRider

I've only made GB jerky 3 times but I mixed it with the GB let it cure / rest in refer for 1 to 2 Hrs and then extruder.
I's sure one of the PROs will be along soon to tell you more.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

CoreyMac

I was hoping that was the way to do it, just seems a lot easier and will take up less space in the refrigerator. I've only made jerky once before and it was about 6-7 yrs ago. I can't remember to save myself how I did it. I usually make sausage but if this works  ;D ;D ;D

Corey

OU812

You should mix the seasonings with the meat first.

Keep us posted on the results

CoreyMac

Sounds like I have my answer, thanks gents. Now I just have to decide what flavour I'm making, I got the seasoning from the SausageMaker. Teriaki,BBQ and one called Colorado Jerky, I have no idea what that ones all about but it sounded interesting.

I'll let you know

Thanks Again
Corey

kelpiedg

I mix the seasoning in it and bag it up for an overnight stay, the flatten it out

CoreyMac

The wife went over and bought 16 lbs of beef from Costco today so looks like I better get at it.

I'll post up when its done.

Corey

OU812

Is it done yet Is it done yet Is it done yet Is it done yet?  ;D

MidKnightRider

16 Lbs, man That is going to ware out your arm and hand shooting it unless you have a power shooter.
Just remember.
80 % will work but leaner is better sya 90% or above.
Mix G.B. and spice / cure mix well and place in refer for a few hours min, over night is better. (I use a hand mixer and a large bow to mix the g.b. meat , spice and cure.)
At this point you can fry up a little to tast and see if you are close. It will not tast just like the jerky will but it will be close.

Shoot it out and dry, smoke which ever way you have.
Good Luck!

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Thermos Gas Grill
BBQ Evangelist

CoreyMac

Well I did up a little bit for a try, didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. Not bad but I think I need to grind it finer, my gun had trouble and I ended up having to make it into rounds instead of the flat, couldn't push the meat out. Plus it had way too much moisture in it to start. Its not bad, my dehydrator was on most of the weekend and it still could have used a bit more but I ran out of time. Flavour isn't bad but I will have do do a bit more experimenting. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be perfect first time out. I'll give it another try next weekend with a finer grinding plate and a bit more spice, I may try to mix the spices in dry to keep the jerky firmer.

Definitely and on going experiment

Corey

pikeman_95

take a look at the jerky tip I made for my hydraulic stuffer. You do not need to add water to mix in the spices or to shoot out of a gun.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21051.0

CoreyMac

Definitely learned the "don't need water' trick the hard way.  Looks like your grinding the meat WAY finer than I was, they look very nice and uniform,mine just looked lumpy. (problem 2) Brought some to work this morning, its pretty plain, needs way more spice.

Thanks for the info
Corey

MidKnightRider

I've made 5 batches now.
the spice is what I'm haveing trouble with now.
I keep adding more but a little at a time.
Going to have to setp up and just add a lot more at one time and see.
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Thermos Gas Grill
BBQ Evangelist

CoreyMac

I'm going to do that as well, hammer the spices and see what happens. I've decided to go and get an electric meat grinder for doing my regrinds as well. Manual grinder is OK for chunks but my arm gets sore for regrinding. After regrinding everything I'm hoping it will come out nice and smooth.

Corey

MidKnightRider

I do not regrind, I use 90/10 ground meat from the store put it in a bowl and mix it with the cure and spice using a electric hand mixer. Into the refer for a few hours or over night and shoot it then dry / smoke it.
I like the texture of mine just have to get the spices right.
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Thermos Gas Grill
BBQ Evangelist