Saw a jumper today

Started by seemore, March 01, 2011, 06:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

I was on my run up to Waterloo today and was just east of Iowa City when I saw vehicles stopping all over I-80 and people running all over the place.  I saw a Semi (eastbound on I-80) that was half off the shoulder.  It was a Peterbilt cab, which has a long hood.
As I got closer, I then saw the body, which was half through the windshield, and half on the hood.
The woman - as I found out later from local news - had jumped from the overpass above I-80 and landed on the semi.
This will be in my mind for a few days. 
seemore

standles

Prayers for her family and friends left behind.   Also prayers for the truck driver that now has to deal with this.  I know things get bad and seem hopeless but there is always a way out.

Tenpoint5

Wow not what I expected this morning.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

jiggerjams

I thought the story was going to be about deer or fish. Like the truck driver I didn't see this coming.

KyNola

OH......MY......GOSH!

That poor truck driver.  I can only imagine what he must be going through.  I'm sorry for the loss of the woman.  Obviously a very troubled soul.

OU812

WOW!!

Not what I expected in this post.

Thats something the trucker will have to deal with the rest of his/her life.

TestRocket

Quarlow

Sad very sad. I can tell you stories about things like this, but this is not the place for it. This driver may never get behind the wheel again. I pray for his strength to carry on in his life.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

iceman

Very sad indeed. It's a bad thing to see people messed up enough to resort to that but to involve an innocent person on top of it is horrible. Sorry you had to see that seemore.

OU812

Quote from: Quarlow on March 02, 2011, 07:29:51 AM
Sad very sad. I can tell you stories about things like this, but this is not the place for it. This driver may never get behind the wheel again. I pray for his strength to carry on in his life.

Verry true.

My best friend from school is a trucker and I know what your talkin about.

Drives a Peterbuilt too and drives that rought also.

I did call him after my first post, he is on the west coast now.

Kinda had me ascared.

seemore

I really did not mean to bring everyone down with this.  I debated on even posting it.
I just could not believe what I had seen.  And today I kept looking at overpasses.
Quarlow, I understand completely what you said.  I have been driving a semi for 20 years and have seen a lot of things.....
This really hit home - probably because of that semi driver who had the misfortune of going under that overpass when that woman jumped...
Prayers for all.  I too wonder if that driver will ever be able to get behind the wheel again.
And for the woman, who affected many people yesterday besides her family and friends.
seemore

Slamdunk

here is a link to a local newspaper. the truck driver drove off on his own, hopefully he will recover.

http://www.press-citizen.com/article/20110302/NEWS01/103020316/1079

hal4uk

Good Lord.  That's awful.

I know a truck driver that had a woman commit suicide by whipping head-on into his lane.
Nothing he could have done, but, he still has nightmares about it.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby