butts & salt at the same time?

Started by kinyo, March 02, 2011, 06:30:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinyo

Need some advise from you guys!

I'm planning on smoking 2 butts this weekend at the cottage. I also want to try smoking salt (never did before).

If I put a butt on the 2nd rack and the other one on the 3rd, can i put salt on the 4th.

I will smoke the butt for 4 1/2 hours with hickory, do you think it will be enough smoke for the salt.

Also, do I have to mix the salt during the smoke period?

Thank!

Kinyo

MidKnightRider

The salt needs to be above the meat when smaking the two at the same time.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

OU812

You should put the salt on the top shelf and stir it every hr then remove it after the smoke time.

Try black pepper too, its great.

4 1/2 hr smoke should get you there.

squirtthecat

Another thing to throw out there...

Put the salt in a big coffee filter (or multiple small ones), they'll let the smoke through for better penetration.

Quarlow

Having never smoked salt before, I wonder OU would it not get flavoured from the meat?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

I did not notice any flavor from the meat, 4 1/2 hr in the bark is just starting to set when I did it.

JF7FSU

Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

OU812

I did mine at 220 F and spread the salt out on a paper towel on one rack and the same with black pepper on another rack.

kinyo

Quote from: JF7FSU on March 02, 2011, 08:10:12 AM
I assume you smoking this at 225?

Yes 225.

Will try with your advise & report back with some pictures!!

I will also try my new bubba pucks & ET-732.  ;D