Gas Range Preferences?

Started by Kummok, August 29, 2005, 06:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kummok

Replacing ALL major appliances shortly after we settled in here in 03, I purchased good ol' Gen-YOU-Wine Sears/Kenmore top end gas 30" freestanding range.....thinking it would last a long time and I didn't know much about ranges anyway. Now, just two short years later, my wife has finally had it with the unreliable oven in this otherwise decently performing stove which, conveniently for Sears, is now OUT of warranty.....she says to get a Viking and be done with it.

Well, the $5000-$6000 US[:0] it takes to own a Viking/Wolf/etc. buys a LOT of power tools, thinks I.....So before spending that kinda cash on a stove, I looked at waaaaay too many choices on the Internet (the ONLY way to get info in Homer!),  and I'm leaning toward the Bosch brand as having many of the features of the high-end pro models at less than half the price.

But before plunking down hard earned Milwaulkie/DeWalt/Snap-On dollars, I thought I'd better check with the culinary X-purts on the Bradley forum, since many of you are also great with other epicurian delights besides just smoked goods[:p].....Anyone with recent gas range buying experience willing to share recommended brand/model?

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Habanero Smoker

I am right in the middle of remodeling, and I am buying new appliances. I can not personally vow for this product, but after doing some research based on my needs and price range I have decided to order a Jenn-AirĀ® Dual-Fuel Pro-Style for $2,150.00 from Home Depot. For some reason Home Depot has not been able to get any in since the beginning of May, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to follow up, but enough ranting on my part [V].

Though it is not fully gas; I decide on this model (less expensive if you get it in black or white), because of the dual fuel. It uses propane for the burners; which I prefer to use to cook with. It comes with two burners and a grill; for  an additional $200.00 you can buy a two burner module and swap out the grill when you need four burners; and I'm told they swap out easily without tools. The oven is an electric convection oven; which I prefer for roasting and baking. The decription also states you can use the oven as a dehydrator. On the other hand, if you don't have a 240v outlet already installed, it may be more of a problem for you. You may want to check out the other Jenn-Air models, or Maytag models. Maytag owns Jenn-Air.

I tried posting the link, but it was too long for this board. if you go to the Home Depot site do a search for this item number <b><font color="green">JDS9860AAP</font id="green"></b>, you get a good description of what I am talking about.

I'm kind of "forced" to use Home Depot because I have a $500.00 gift card, but also their price is very competitive.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Kummok,

I recently purchased a load of appliances out of Reno(No sales tax) for a kitchen remodel that has yet to happen.  They delivered for free.  I was going to use all Viking, but then opted not to after hearing war stories about their after the sale service on their equipment.  I ended up with the following:

Dyanasty 48" SS Range with a grill, Wok and 4 burners.  They will configure any way you want.  54" SS Hood.  All SS in-and-out 48" Northridge SS 3 door refrigerator(Couldn't buy in California due to EPA restrictions), 2 Fisher-Paykel Drawer dishwashers that blend into cabinetry, Gaggenau in-counter steamer and the in-counter deep fat fryer.   For me in "my" kitchen in the back part of the kitchen, a 36" Viking 4 burner with griddle and its own hood(bought used), a KA 27" Warming drawer for raising bread, and keeping stuff warm for group dinners, and a Gaggenau Steam oven ( like making artisan bread and slow cooking roasts with steam injection into the oven.  For the bar area, a Vitamix commercial in-counter blender like the smoothie places have, and last but not least, a free-standing KA ice maker that stores about 50# of ice, and something I plan on selling now because I bought a real espresso machine, a my SS self-contained Miele Coffee System.  I spent a load...about $27K for all of it.  So much, I ran out of money for the remodel part...saving up for that now.

Here is a source I considered:
http://us-appliance.com/clearance.html.  They deliver for $99 to CONUS, and charge extra for Alaska.  They have items on clearance that you might consider.  It is all good stuff...they carry most of the major appliances.  The thing you bump your head up against is warranty.  I am in Sacramento area, so lots of service available.  Up in AK, I think Kenmore at Sears might be a best bet, only because of their nationwide warranty service that you shouldn't let expire.  Any place you go, most of the major manufacturers are fair-trade priced.  The site I posted has their stuff discounted at times.  

I bought at Czyz Appliances.  They have places in Reno and Incline Village.  I talked with Ian in Reno.  Here is a site for them:

I used: http://www.bigapplianceguide.com/czyz-appliance.html

Good luck, and you better get her what she wants, or you might be sleeping in the workshop with your tools, wondering what you did wrong!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

Kummok,
Given where you live this more than likly will not be an option for you. Are there any used restaurant supply house there? Used does not always mean beat up and old. A good example is my 30" radient grill. It retailed about 2,200.00 new. I got it for 650.00 and one side of it had never been turned on.

It does take time to find what you want in used equipment, but the $$$ saving can come into the thousands.

When I retire and build my last home (currently we are looking at Tenn) it will have a real kitchen and I will out fit it with used restaurant equipment.  I will shop the Atlanta Ga area as it is a major test market for restaurants in the Southeast United States. Hopefully there is a market like that somewhat near you.

BTW If I was going to have to spend 6K I would get a Vulcan...something like this one for just another 1K new (free shipping):

60" Gas Restaurant Range With 10 Open Burners And Two Large CONVECTION Ovens

If convection ovens are not important then this one is a killer 60" Gas Restaurant Range With 6 Open Burners, 24" Manual Control Griddle And (2) Large Standard Ovens for under 5K.

Now let's compair the new to some used units.
For just under 1,600.00 VULCAN RANGE / OVEN GAS , 6 BURNS, 2 OVENS, GRIDDLE (Do you see the broiler under the griddle?):

Under 1,100.00

It is hard to beat a Vulcan. It is a TANK!

Now this one is a MONTAGUE GRIZZLY another tough oven to beat.
10 BUR. 1 HOT PLATE NAT. GAS 12" GRIDDLE 2 CONVECTION OVENS Under 2,600.00

This one is only 700.00!

You might have to hit the refresh button to see these images.

Anyway just something to think about. Perhaps if you are going to redo your whole kitchen it might be worth your time this winter to come down to the 48 and take a week or so shopping.

If I was in the market at this time and given if that 1st unit looked as good in person as it does in the photo I would jump all over that first used Vulcan. For 1,600.00 Oh please I would be all over that like stink on  manure~~! I tell why I think that one is priced so right. I just about bet its tag/ sticker is missing off of the back of it or it cannot be read. Without that tag/ sticker most counties will not allow you to use it in a public restaurant--no matter how new it is!

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

nsxbill

If you buy commercial, remember that they most times have pilot lights, which can be dangerous.  I would look for electronic ignition on anything you are looking at if you opt for in the commercial range.  Your insurance won't like pilot light and buiding codes might preclude use of commercial stove.

This is the one I bought.  You can configure anyway you want.  I got a Wok burner in addition to the griddle.

Nice features include all stainless in and out, and all the parts, including the drip pan under burners will fit in dishwasher.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Kummok

I knew I could count on you guys for sage advice! ThanX!

Unfortunately, I've only got a 30" space in our small kitchen and most of the "bigguns" you are fortunate to have, would extend far out into the dining "cubby".....I should have given you that "little detail" when first asking. Your photos got my saliva glands working and, like Olds, "in my next kitchen" I'll be checking out the ones illustrated.....those used ones look PERFECTLY priced to me!

I also understand totally what Bill is saying about the Viking, Wolf, etc......really panned in the Consumer Reports for service deficiencies. For now, I'm leaning stongly towards the Bosch 30" http://www.boschappliances.com/ranges/6021_RD_HGS25x_detail.asp   Hope I can actually FIND one in Anchorage [;)]

ThanX again for the feedback Bill, Olds, Hab!!

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

BigSmoker

Don't know a dang thing about Bosch appliances but I've never had any problems with any of the Bosch tools I've owned other than employee abuse.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

I almost bought Bosch dishwasher.  All products very well made!

Bill

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
....I've never had any problems with any of the Bosch tools I've owned other than employee abuse.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As an ex-boss, I always thougt that "employee abuse" was MY responsibility,,,,[}:)][;)][:D]   Of course, maybe that's why I'm an EX-boss [:0]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
....I've never had any problems with any of the Bosch tools I've owned other than employee abuse.....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

As an ex-boss, I always thougt that "employee abuse" was MY responsibility,,,,[}:)][;)][:D]   Of course, maybe that's why I'm an EX-boss [:0]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

LOL Kummok.  How true(not the ex-boss thing).  Actually all my Bosch tools are intact and working properly.  I used the word owned but the abused tools were actually all owned by a former employer of mine.  Didn't matter much in the long run as the crack heads stole them along with the new stuff he had.  I always treated his stuff like it was mine but lots of folks just plain don't care.  Now that I'm on my own and actively involved with every job my tools are treated with respect if you want to be employed by me[:)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.