Cold smoked Artichokes...

Started by muebe, March 08, 2011, 11:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on March 09, 2011, 12:33:12 PM
Muebe - We need to excuse some our bretheren who may live off the beaten path. Not too long ago, relatives of mine excitedly drug me to the market to show me this new exotic fruit they now had, called an 'alligator pear'. They had just been intorduced to avocados ;D
SoCal, in Louisiana and parts South if you mention an alligator pear you are referring to a chayote or mirliton. ;)

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: KyNola on March 09, 2011, 01:14:36 PM
Muebe - We need to excuse some our bretheren who may live off the beaten path. Not too long ago, relatives of mine excitedly drug me to the market to show me this new exotic fruit they now had, called an 'alligator pear'. They had just been intorduced to avocados ;D
SoCal, in Louisiana and parts South if you mention an alligator pear you are referring to a chayote or mirliton. ;)

Well there you go! I had to look up Mirliton. I learned something today... I think I'll take the rest of the day off now ;D Thanks!

muebe

I did not realize that artichokes would create such a controversy in the forum. They are so common in california that I just assumed everybody knew what they were :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Tenpoint5

Muebe I was just funning with you. I know what they are My Ex made me eat them a couple of different ways and none of them involved Bacon. Now that other fella he's from way out in the cornfield he still don't know what they is.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 09, 2011, 05:18:58 PM
Now that other fella he's from way out in the cornfield he still don't know what they is.

I do now, sorta.  ::)

KyNola

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on March 09, 2011, 01:20:35 PM
Well there you go! I had to look up Mirliton. I learned something today... I think I'll take the rest of the day off now ;D Thanks!
Anytime! :D  Glad I could broaden your Southern CA horizon. ;) ;D

muebe

Quote from: KyNola on March 10, 2011, 07:26:51 AM
Quote from: SoCalBuilder on March 09, 2011, 01:20:35 PM
Anytime! :D  Glad I could broaden your Southern CA horizon. ;) ;D

:D I thought Mirliton was the name of a town :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

3rensho

I've made poached artichoke bottoms (poach in  a flour/water/lemon juice mix) then top the cupped part with a duxelles and finish with a fresh Bearnaise sauce.  I think the cold smoked artichoke bottom would go well with that.  Might even top it with a quail egg sunny side up.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

adriandb

I'm planning on smoking some of these and then using them in a spinach, artichoke dip. I'll report back.

3rensho

As I have posted before, a cooked artichoke heart topped with a mushroom duxelle, bernaise sauce and a poached quail egg is marvelous (Julia Child recipe).  If you can get the really small French chokes, slice the uncooked hearts raw, paper thin and thin drizzle with lemon juice and varietal olive oil.  Had that several times in Milano.  Molto bene.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.