Smoked half turkey

Started by braveheart, March 14, 2011, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

braveheart

I am a new Bradley owner and raised a bunch of turkeys for xmas gifts and for xmas dinner. Had three left over and decided to smoke one. They dressed out at 28lbs so had to cut them in half with a bandsaw to have 14lbs or there abouts. I have never brined a turkey before so did a simple salt, sugar and water overnight and then smoked it in my workshop for 8 hours at 230f. Had family over and I have never heard them rave so much about how juicy and tasty it was, I actually thought it was pretty good myself, but a bit of a challenge knowing what IT to go for as it was a half bird cut right down the keel bone.
Does anyone think that the half bird makes a difference for smoking and was the juiceness attributable to the brine?
Love the forum with great tips and love the smoker!
Braveheart
f you can't smoke it, shoot it!

beefmann

welcome to the forum Brave,

as for smoking a half a bird or the whole bird  for juicyness, maybe just a little, it comes down to cooking time, 1/2 bird = 1/2 the cooking time, brining helps make it juicier, sounds like you  have done a good job for your first smoke, im sure others will chime in on this issue that has  more experience then I

Enjoy

PS we like pictures

Smokeville

Hi Braveheart, and welcome!

I've done a few turkeys cut in half. The main reason was packaging -- it's hard to fit a whole turkey into a bag for vacuum sealing. Of course, a large one like you did would probably not fit regardless.

I could be wrong, but I think the half turkey is a bit smokier, since the inside and outside is exposed. With a whole bird, I don't think too much smoke gets inside the cavity at least in comparison.

As to timing, I go by the IT and aim for 165F in the breast and thigh, same as for a whole bird. When it's done, it's done.

Regards, Rich

SoCalBuilder

I've never brined a bird and they always come out moist. I think it is more about the low and slow. When I butterfly chickens, I think that I can imagine they are smokier than if they are just sitting there whole.

braveheart

I agree SoCal, when the bird is opened or cut in half it has more surface area to absorb the smoke, but I have to say that i was impressed by the brining and will definetely do it again.
f you can't smoke it, shoot it!