Going to smoke some Blazing & Citrus Pistachios

Started by SoCalBill, November 11, 2011, 04:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBill

Hey guys,

As the title says I am going to smoke both recipes from susanminor tonight. The question I had is around wood choice. The Blazing call for mesquite and the Citrus call for maple.

In order to save time and pucks... would one be better than the other, should I go with hickory, or should I say the hell with is and do two sessions?

I have the following to choose from:

Alder
Maple
Pecan
Mesquite
Hickory
Apple
Special Blend

Thanks!

JZ

Wish I could help - I have only done the Blazing (twice now) and have not tried the Citrus. I used Hickory for the Blazing and didn't really notice a strong smoke flavour. I think you could get away with using one wood of your choice.

I wouldn't do 2 smokes but I only have limited experience so far and maybe someone with more can chime in.

KyNola

Hickory.  Nuff said but I am a Kentucky boy where if you're not smoking with hickory, you're not smoking. :)  Truth is I have done a LOAD of Blazin' Pistachios(12 lbs so far) and the hickory works great.

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SoCalBill

Sailor

Yep.....I have done 2 loads using Hickory and they were good.  Going to do some cashews and almonds tomorrow with Hickory.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SoCalBill

Citrus

Blazing

Into the smoker you go. I put the Citrus on the top. Didn't want the Blazing to drip down on it

First time using the cart I built!!!

muebe

Your cart turned out very nice Bill ;)

And nice looking nuts too ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Quote from: muebe on November 11, 2011, 09:16:18 PM
Your cart turned out very nice Bill ;)

And nice looking nuts too ;D
Lol. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Sailor

They done yet?   ;D

I am very impressed with that stand that you built.  When you do a cold smoke I would really like to see some shots of that smoke.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SoCalBill

Quote from: Sailor on November 12, 2011, 06:28:18 AM
They done yet?   ;D

I am very impressed with that stand that you built.  When you do a cold smoke I would really like to see some shots of that smoke.

Not planning a cold smoke right now, but I can set it up to show you. The link in my sig has the build. I need to take the final pic,but it's dark now when I get home  :(

SoCalBill

Here you go Sailor. I updated my cart build thread this evening