what to do with all this meat

Started by sameguy, September 05, 2005, 06:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sameguy

I smoked mt first brisket this week, a 14 pounder.  It took around 17 hours, (temp got a little lower than I planned on at night) but it came out pretty good.  We've been eating it for 2 days,and figure I've got one more meal left before my wife kills me and vows to never eat brisket again.  I've cut it all up, and am planning on freezing some for Chili, and a few individual packages for quick snacks, but I need some ideas of what to do with the rest.  Anyone got some recipes for something like hash, or a casserole.  I've made some great sandwiches, had it plane w/ gravy and mashed potatos, and eaten handfulls of it standing at the counter while cutting it up. All great in my book, but my better half wants variety.  Now you see why she calls me sameguy.

sameguy

"smoke em if ya got em"

nsxbill

When I was able to eat beef prior to surgery, I would serve up the brisket conventionally, then get out my little semi-commercial rotary slicer and slice up paper thin.  In 1/3 to1/2 pound portions with enough of the favorite BBQ sauce, I would put the portions into sealing pouches, then store in freezer.   Out into a pot of boiling water to reheat, they were ready to go when I wanted a sandwich.  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

calatexmex

This is what I would do.  [:p]

Burnt Ends

Barbecued beef brisket
Favorite spice rub
Favorite BBQ Sauce

Chop Brisket into cubes. Place chopped pieces in a
pan with holes. Smoke for 1 1/2 hours, or until dried out. Remove
pan from smoker and transfer brisket cubes to a pan without
any holes. Stir in favorite BBQ sauce, and then return to the smoker
for an additional 1 1/2 hours. Burnt ends may be combined with baked
beans or served on a sandwich.

Mike C

tsquared

BigSmoker

Potroast with the leftover brisket is really good. If you have a whole piece leftover continue to cook the brisket in a crock pot with some broth until it starts to shread apart.  Then add onions, carrots, potatoes and shrooms along with any other spices you like.  Cook on low until the potatoes are done but not mushy.  Make some cornbread and enjoy[:D].
<i>EDIT:  The smoke flavor from the meat makes for a taste most people will go GAA-GAA over.</i>
Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Mikey

Hey try making cheesesteak sandwitches. Slice it extra thin and toss it in a frypan with some kraft cheese slices and add enough milk to thin it out and warm through, then add to toasted sub buns.................ya baby ya. Serve with french fries.

BigSmoker

Something new some freinds came up with is to do biscuits with brisket gravy.  Looks outstanding but haven't been able to try it myself yet[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Gordon

I make chili with it.  You really aint had chili 'til you've have smoked brisket chili.  It is kind of like a royal chili.

Gordo