Newbie from New Hampshire

Started by gbritten_nh, March 12, 2011, 10:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbritten_nh

I am an IT person living in Penacook, New Hampshire.  I got an OBS at the beginning of the year, and have now used it about 5 times, and happy with everything I made, mostly adapting recipes by guesswork.

smoker pete

Welcome to the Forum gbritten :)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

KyNola

Welcome!  You need to get to know Squirtthecat and Hal4UK.  They're both IT guys too.

deb415611

Welcome Gbritten!

I lived in NH until about 7 years ago. 

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

gbritten_nh

I just got my Maverick remote thermometer (new model ET-732 recommended on Yard and Pool site), as well as my replacement element.  Looks like there might be a butt in my future!

Has anybody used their Maverick in the oven (at moderate temperatures)?  I am planning to do the butt over 2 days, smoke the first day, refrigerate overnight, and cook in the oven the second day, to avoid those killer long days, and I don't want to do an overnight smoke with a fairly new element.  Any thoughts?

KyNola

You absolutely can use your new Maverick with your house oven.  I have done it many times.

beefmann

ArnieM

Hi gbritten_nh and welcome to the forum.

I have used my ET-73 in the oven and on the grill many times with no problems.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

La Quinta

kinyo

smoker pete

Quote from: gbritten_nh on March 22, 2011, 01:47:34 PM
I just got my Maverick remote thermometer (new model ET-732 recommended on Yard and Pool site), as well as my replacement element.  Looks like there might be a butt in my future!

Has anybody used their Maverick in the oven (at moderate temperatures)?  I am planning to do the butt over 2 days, smoke the first day, refrigerate overnight, and cook in the oven the second day, to avoid those killer long days, and I don't want to do an overnight smoke with a fairly new element.  Any thoughts?

You don't need to worry about using the ET-732 at moderate temperatures gbritten cause both probe wires on the ET-732 are heat resistant to 716ºF and will display temps up to 572ºF.  Like ArnieM I too have used mine in the oven many times and other places.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

gbritten_nh

I just made a roast leg of lamb that turned out perfect, thanks to the Maverick.  And, I confirmed the calibration of the oven controller too (375 +12 -10, pretty good).

pikeman_95

welcome gb these guys are great. have a good time and remember to take pics of your projects.