Another Newbie From Ontario

Started by johnredcorn1, March 17, 2011, 09:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnredcorn1

Hello all. Been reading a lot on this site and it is quite informative. Lots of great people. I have done some smokin on my weber gas grill and ribs and butts have come out good but not that great smoke flavor. So I'am looking at getting the OBS tomorrow. I can get it at Canadiand Tire for $289 wich is the best price I have seen around here. The only thing that worries me is the burnt out elements that people have been talking about. They have the DBS on for $399 and people seem to have less problems with them. Is it worth the extra money for the DBS. Thanks for any help and I can't wait to do so good smokin!

GusRobin

while there seems to be a rash of element failures, that will pass. In the meantime Bradley will provide excellent support. As far as which to buy it depends upon how much you are going to cook.  That would determine if you should buy the 6 rack digital or 4 rack OBS.
If you are debating between the 4 rack digital vs the 4 rack OBS i would go with the OBS and buy a PID to controller the temp. They will cost about as much as the 4 rack digital. You will get tighter temp control. The Digital is a little bit sturdier but I have had my OBS for over a year and all is fine.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

johnredcorn1

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't want to get to techinal. I think I will go with the DBS 4 rack. Not lookin at smokin a whole bunch at once. Hope to be smokin this weekend, the temps will be a little low in these parts. Maybe lookin to smoke some beef ribs never tried that. They have a sale on some if anyone knows a good recipe that would be great. Thanks

La Quinta

IMHO...I have a OBS...never seemed like I needed a digital....I have a mav temp probe and that seems ok...but I'm kinda a purist..you buy want you want big man...

Jim O

Welcome aboard John !

I have a DBS 4 rack and have used it for about 2 years with no problem!

If a problem does arise, Bradley service is second to none !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

lumpy

Welcome to the forum eh!
I have owned a 4 rack digital for 5 years trouble free. Oh ya there was the time I blew a hole in the side of the smoker  8)....thats another story.
When I do salmon or sausages, I use my PID with Maverick.

jiggerjams

H-eh and welcome!!

Are you close to the GTA or Ottawa area? If you are going with the DBS 4 rack you will want to consider LeBaron's  www.lebaron.ca

Here is the deal:

The DBS4 costs $359.99.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_sp11/bradley_airtight.pdf

They have a no tax promotion on until March 20th. They also have a membership you can buy for $25 which gets you 10% off your purchases. Now including the cost of the membership the total cost is $348.99 for the smoker.

They also have the cheapest prices around for Bradley Smoke Pucks @ $15.99 for 48 packs -10% (membership savings) = $14.40

So if you were considering buying a DBS at 399.99 plus tax =$450.87 you can now get one for $349 at Lebaron. Which leaves you $100 to buy pucks, cures, rib hooks, etc.

I hope you are in the area of a LeBaron store.

Cheers,
JJ

johnredcorn1

Thanks for the info. I should have waited. I just picked mine up at $399 but I am still happy. Going to season it tomorrow. And hopefuly do some ribs on Sunday. Will let you know how it goes.

beefmann

welcome to the forum and it depends on how much food you will stuff into at once , if it is less then 40 lbs then the 4 rack will do nicely of its 60 or so lbs then you  will need toe 6 rack,

I would run a pid controller either way just to have better control and if you  have a heater problem change it out to a finned heater and run it with a blower and you  wont have any other problems.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17329.0

have been running this heater mod for 4 years now with zero problems and love  it

Smokey the Bear.

I also bought my OBS at Can Tire over 2 years ago and have never regretted not buying the digital.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

watchdog56

johnredcorn1

Thanks everyone. Just did my first smoke yesterday. Big beef ribs and they were the best I have ever had, the wife thought so also. Forgot to take pics. Next up I think will be a turkey will try and remember so pics.

pikeman_95

Quote from: lumpy on March 18, 2011, 08:40:31 AM
Welcome to the forum eh!
I have owned a 4 rack digital for 5 years trouble free. Oh ya there was the time I blew a hole in the side of the smoker  8)....thats another story.
When I do salmon or sausages, I use my PID with Maverick.

Lumpy I would like to hear that other story.