Smoked Corned Beef Brisket

Started by SmokeDogg, March 14, 2011, 08:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokeDogg

Hey has anyone ever smoked the corned beef briskets that they have in the store right now for St. Patty's Day?  I've seen the Habs pastrami recipe.  But I was just wondering if any of you have just smoked a corned beef brisket???  Thanks for any tips and advice!

B

KyNola

I know STC has and I've used the store bought corned beef briskets to make pastrami many times.

squirtthecat

[edit - Larry beat me]

Sort of...  

I cold smoked one for a couple hours, then steamed in my pressure cooker the next night.    Turned out great.

I don't see why you couldn't just let it roll the entire time in the smoker, and then pull when it hits around 165° or so.   Slice thin and enjoy.

smoker pete

Smoked a store bought Corned Beef Brisket last October and you can see the details here at http://smokinpetebbq.jautaikis.com/?p=288

I pulled it when the IT hit 158º which was a big mistake.  Squirt suggests going to 165º but I think I would take it to an even higher IT.  Curious to see what your results are SmodeDogg cause I plan on doing another one in the near future.  I love Corned Beef and Cabbage ;D

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

watchdog56

I did one a while back and it was excellent. Have another one in freezer and when I get my new smoker (because of fire in old one) I will be making this again;

October 18 2009 did a corned beef brisket.Outside temp was to hit 60.Using maple smoke for 4 hours.
Made a rub using;
2 tblsp ground pepper corn
1/2 tblsp ground coriander seed.Next time buy the ground one already
1/2 tblsp onion powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
Took corned beef out of package and drained the juice.Rinsed and put in plastic
container. Put in frig for 36 hours and changed the water about 3-4 times to get salt out.
Put rub on and back in frig overnight.Took out and let get to room temp. Started smoke for 1 hour
at 160 then 175 for 1.5 hours then took to 240 for 7 hours or until IT hits 170. Hit 170 after
9 hours. Took out and FTC for 4 hours. Put in frig overnight to slice up thin. Came out
excellent.

squirtthecat

170° sounds good to me!   Be sure to slice it thinly - against the grain.

Habanero Smoker

I have used my recipe and smoked corned beef. I also smoke the corned beef the same way I smoke my pastrami, and some times steam it; you just need to slice it thin. I have also taken corned beef to 185°F, to make it tender. I prefer taking the internal temperature to 160°F - 165°F and slicing it thin across the grain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SmokeDogg

Thanks for all the tips gentlemen.  I have the smoker preheating right now.  Going to throw in two corned beef brisket flats today!  Looking forward to the end product.  Thanks again!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

irish_smoker

I got one of the those corned beef briskets from the grocery store as well, threw her in the smoker with 4 hours of maple, turned out fantastic.  Took it to 170, FTC for 4 hours, and then wrapped it in plastic and put it in the fridge for a couple days before slicing. 

ready for the smoker.....

sliced up....

waterkc

So how did it turn out? I how was the chew factor? I am doing this one for the Socal Smoke out 3 this coming weekend.

Thanks
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."

irish_smoker

Mine was great, the only think I would change is I wish I had sharpened the blade on my meat slicer beforehand.  I ended up cutting by hand so the pieces were a little thick as you might be able to tell in the picture, but the flavor was great and chew factor was perfect.  The only thing I did was crush up that packet of seasoning that was with the brisket, spread some of that on top and some cracked pepper.  I also smoked mine fat side up.

waterkc

awesome, I am going to take some pics this weekend for sure. Yeah baby Yeah,
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."