MESQUITE

Started by Jim O, March 24, 2011, 06:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

I've never used Mesquite before and thought I'd try it on some ribs.

I've used hickory for ribs and it was great!

Using 3-2-1 method,is 3 hrs smoke too much with Mesquite ?

Thanks

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Tenpoint5

20 minutes is too much mesquite smoke for me!! I personally am not a fan of the flavor. It will give a stronger smoke flavor much like Hickory.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wyoduke

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 24, 2011, 06:35:09 AM
20 minutes is too much mesquite smoke for me!! I personally am not a fan of the flavor. It will give a stronger smoke flavor much like Hickory.
X2
1 OBS
1 BRINKMAN
1 ROYAL JOKE
1 Smoke Daddy
1 Brinkman smoker grill
1 Green Mountain Grill

smoker pete

Quote from: wyoduke on March 24, 2011, 07:15:00 AM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 24, 2011, 06:35:09 AM
X2

Bought a box of mesquite bisquettes back in 2007 ... used a few ... still have the original box ... :-\  Mesquite is not high on my list to use!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Jim O

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

thirtydaZe

my first smoke was ribs 3-2-1 method.  i used mesquite and like others, that was my last mesquite smoke.

actually, it was so strong for me that it's scared me off of using hickory for the time being.  that however is about to change, and the more i smoke the more i crave that stronger flavor.

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

Tenpoint5

The main thing is to make it a flavor that you like. Even with Hickory there are times when I feel the need to back off on the amount of time I am applying smoke. If your using the Messy Wood try only applying smoke for 2 hours instead of the 3 or if smoking sticks use 1:40 instead of 2 hours.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

muebe

Whenever I use Mesquite I do not use it at full strength by itself. I will add it to use with other wood as a flavor accent. It is a very strong flavor so people make the mistake of using it alone in strong doses and get turned off by it...
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)