• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Problems with Maverick ET-73?

Started by bubbagump, September 11, 2005, 12:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

Hey All,

I think my temp probes are acting up. When I pulled my chickens today the meat probe read 170 but they didn't look close to being done. So I checked them with my manual one and it read about 148. After checking the birds it was obvious they weren't close to being done. I had them in for 4 hours at 215-220, at least that's what I thought.

This time the door temp gauge was 25 degrees lower than the ET probe for the smoker. I initially figured it was do to the inaccuracy of the door gauge. But the last time I used the smoker the door gauge and the ET probe were within 5 degrees of each other.

I also noticed wide temp swing readings (10-15 degrees every 15 seconds or so) from the smoker probe near the end of the 4 hours

Any thoughts?

Bubbagump

calatexmex

Hay Bubba
Sure sounds like a probe problem to me. I sometimes have the same problem with my Polder. You should calibrate the unit before you use it. Just bring a pot of water to a boil and put the tip of the probe in, see how close to 212 degrees you get. Then when you are using it add or subtract the ammount the unit is off. In the mean time order a new probe. Also you should never completely submerge a probe in water when washing it. Water gets into the contact between the wire and the probe and throws them off.

Mike C

Habanero Smoker

Did you try moving the Maverick probe? You may have not had it in the deepest part of the meat, or too near a bone.

With the ET-73 you should first change all batteries, especially if they are the batteries that came with the unit; then check it for accuracy. If it is still not functioning correctly, and you bought it less then 90 days ago call or send Maverick an e-mail.

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/contact_us.htm

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bubbagump

Yes I did move the probe but I didn't change the batteries. They are the original ones. I'll change them and then check the accuracy as suggested.

If I still have problems I'll contact Maverick. Thanks for the link Habs.

Thanks,

Bubbagump

JJC

Any news on the Mav problem BQ?  Did the Battery change solve your problem?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bubbagump

No changing the batteries did not help. In fact, I used it again the next day and the food probe starting reading 300 all the time. So I called Maverick and they sent me a new one. I received it yesterday.

But I have to be honest, up to this point I'm not too impressed with the unit. When I first got the ET-73 it seemed to work fine and appeared to have acceptable range. The smoker is on the deck and I could be in the living room and the receiver would still communicate with the transmitter. But the only place the receiver will pick up any signal now is when it's in the kitchen, which is 25' from the smoker.

The other thing I've notice is that the transmitter doesn't update the temp. on the receiver very often. You can tell when the transmitter is transmitting a signal because the red LED on the front of it will flash. When I first started using it the LED would flash regularly. Now it's really intermittent. In fact, yesterday it would sometimes be 5 minutes between updates and the box temp. reading between the transmitter and receiver would be as much as 6 degrees off before it updated. So if you had the alert set at a certain temp. it could 5 degrees over that setpoint before it responded. Again, this is different from when I first started using it.

I guess I'll have to call them again tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Thanks for asking,

Bubbagump

JJC

Sorry for your problem with the Mav, BG.  I did have to have my first unit replaced, but the second unit has been fine for the past 8 months of heavy use.  They are made in China, and I wonder if they have a huge problem with quality control--they may an especially bad batch in stock right now, which would mean getting another unit might not help.  Keep us posted . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

The ET-73 failed me twice. So no more ET-73. I use the el-cheap-o from from Chez and now problems are gone.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I've had mine more then 13 months. During that time, excluding batteries, I only had to replace the temperature probe, because it was functioning like yours did. Maverick stated this type of malfunction is usually caused by pinching or kinking the wire. After it was replaced it functioned fine. Because I have the Raptor/Guru, I obtained an extra temperature probe and converted the Maverick ET-73 into a unit that will monitor 2 internal meat temperatures.

Usually, if you can't keep the receiver in the same room that you are in, generally you can place it in an area where you will hear the alarm; a little inconvenient, but still better then stopping what you are doing and going to the smoker to check on the temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bubbagump

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Usually, if you can't keep the receiver in the same room that you are in, generally you can place it in an area where you will hear the alarm; a little inconvenient, but still better then stopping what you are doing and going to the smoker to check on the temperature.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This would be O.K., I guess, but the bigger issue is that it isn't communicating on a regular basis. The receiver inside the house can say the smoker box is at 210 but the transmitter by the smoker indicates that the temp is actually 215. Sometimes updates are 5 minutes or more apart. So unless you watch is constantly you can go past your target temp without knowing it, even with the alert set to on....not good.

Bubbagump

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bubbagump</i>
<br />
This would be O.K., I guess, but the bigger issue is that it isn't communicating on a regular basis. The receiver inside the house can say the smoker box is at 210 but the transmitter by the smoker indicates that the temp is actually 215. Sometimes updates are 5 minutes or more apart. So unless you watch is constantly you can go past your target temp without knowing it, even with the alert set to on....not good.

Bubbagump
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If it is still doing that, after you have replaced the temperature probe, then one of your units is faulty. Mine updates frequently and accurately with no delay in the change of temperatures. Maverick will replace it if it continues to function improperly, after you had replaced the probe.

If my Maverick has a problem in receiving and transmitting singles, it is due to interference by being to close to my computer, wireless connection frequency, or electrical interference from certain appliances.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

bubbagump

I called Maverick today and they asked me to return it so they can look at it. It will be about two weeks to get it back, or another one, whatever they decide.

Bubbagump

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bubbagump</i>
<br />I called Maverick today and they asked me to return it so they can look at it. It will be about two weeks to get it back, or another one, whatever they decide.

Bubbagump
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm sure they will be faster then that. They are fairly good at responding to consumer's complaints. A lot of the time will depend on the distance it has to ship back and forth.

Good Luck.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SoupGuy

I've had similar problems with my Maverick.

At first, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. After a month or so it started to lose range. I changed all the batteries with no luck.

Lately, the temp sometimes reads WAY MORE than actual.

This is my second Maverick and my last.

I think they have big time quality control problems. Sure was nice when it worked good though!

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...