Modifying a short rib recipe - Any bright ideas?

Started by SoCalBuilder, March 22, 2011, 03:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

I have a great recipe for short ribs that are cooked in one of those oven bags with a combination of spices, liquids, etc. After the ribs are done, you take the juices and cook bell peppers, onions and carrots in the juice and then serve the whole mess over egg noodles. I'm thinking of just using a glass baking dish and doing the same routine in the OBS, but without the bag. I figure on flipping the ribs occasionally to keep them from drying out on one side, but think the smoke will add a lot to the overall taste.

Any reason this won't work ???

Ka Honu

Or you could cold smoke them for a bit before making the recipe the usual way.

Shozzy

Don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, sounds pretty damn good actually.  I would consider quickly browning the ribs in a deep pan or pot, adding the liquid, other ingredients and getting it heated up while the smoker comes up to temp then throwing it in the smoker to almost braise it.  Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.

SoCalBuilder

Shozzy - That sounds brilliant and may be a good alternative to the orignal recipe. I am concerned about how well the smoke will be absorbed by the meat if it is already sort of seal from the browning. Don't know..... a little head scratching still to go.

Ka Honu - The cold smoke would be the ticket, but I've been to lazy to put one together. Since I'm going to go ahead and hot smoke it in the end, maybe I'll just use the SG and give it a quick 'cold smoke' that way and then proceed with the plan. Hmmm????

OldHickory

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 22, 2011, 03:16:21 PM
Or you could cold smoke them for a bit before making the recipe the usual way.

I think Ka Honu has you on the right track.  I have cold smoked multiple different cuts of meat just using the SG on my BDS4, ice and a little water in the bisket catch pan and it worked great.  The Cab temp never got above 125*  and preped the meat for searing on the grill or in a pan.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

La Quinta

I cold smoke my short ribs...then put them in the pressure cooker...done in no time...

Habanero Smoker

I also agree with Ka Honu's idea, but if you move the ribs directly from the cabinet into the the cooking bag and into the oven, you don't need to bother with the cold smoke setup or detaching the generator. Just unplug the cabinet, so that there is no heat generated by the heating element, while you apply the smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)