Have you done the fan install?

Started by lumpy, March 27, 2011, 03:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Hi all
Looking for members that have done the circulation fan modifcation. I am noticing a few hot spots in my BDS when I do sausage. Even when rotating the racks every hour, I still get spots in the sausages that are different temps.

Wondering if the fan will change all of that.

Thanks in advance.
Lumpy

Toker

It will improve but not completely eliminate it. I still get a hot spot on the left side. Also, the temp between each racks top to bottom is not really even either but improved. Maybe i did not installed it correctly who knows...

porterdriver

I must admit that I did all of the "nice-to-do" installs after a single smoke, that included the fan.  What can I say?

So I do not have any pre-install data.  I seem to get a pretty uniform smoke regardless of tray position and the temp variation between trays is fairly minimum.  I have not noticed any side-to-side variations of either smoke or temp, as Toker did.  However, he has smoked a ton (or is that a tonne?) more than I; so I would never discount his observations.

From an engineering standpoint, the first thing that I thought could be improved (but haven't changed) is to have the fan in the top (ceiling?) and have it blowing down...think ceiling fan.  That would also allow for a bigger fan blade, therefore better air movement.  Might even want to consider a rheostat so that you could slow the motor down to a slow circulation flow.

Of course, that's just my opinion.  I could be wrong.

beefmann

Lumpy

one thing I have noticed on my  fan setup  it depends on the load inside of the box, If  I allow enough room around the meat for circulation its pretty much  even, if i stuff the smoker then i do get hot sopts,

however i am running a 80 cfm blower as well which makes a big difference

lumpy

Thanks for all the information gents.