• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Inside Round

Started by rpony, April 02, 2011, 08:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpony

I've got a inside round roast which has been marinating all night with injection and rub on it.
It's approx 5lbs in size.
I want to smoke it and then transfer to the oven for the finishing touches.
At what temperature should I smoke and for how long and how long should I leave it in the oven at what temperature?
I would like the meat to come out at rare/med to med.
Anyone have any helpful tips or advice?

steve-o

I would put it in my smoker as hot it will go with 3-4 hrs of smoke, but as far as finishing it up in the oven I don't know what temperature to cook or how long it would take. I think it would be more to a specific IT rather than time. You could just leave it in your smoker the whole time, until you reach the IT you are shooting for.

Habanero Smoker

When I use the combination of smoker and kitchen oven for beef roast, the temperature I use in the smoker depends on how much smoke I want to apply. Also it is important to monitor the internal temperature at all times.

For example, if I want to apply 1:40 hours of smoke, I will smoke/cook at a cabinet of 250°F. Depending on the thickness of meat this will give you an internal temperature of around 110°F - 120°F. If I want more smoke I use a cabinet temperature of 210°F - 220°F. Just a side note, I modified my Bradley so I have a dual element, so your cooking times may be longer and internal meat temperature may be lower.

After I have applied the smoke I move the roast to a 450°F oven and bring the internal temperature up to 130°F; this creates a nice crust. Remove from the oven, tent with foil, and the carryover should bring the meat to 135° (which I consider medium rare). The 450°F temperature can be tricky to use. If the meat has not reached the 130°F or within 5°F of your target temperature within 10 minutes you will need to open the oven door and reduce the heat to 250°F; if not you may risk burning your rub. Better yet if this is your first time using the combination cook method with roast, you may want to set your kitchen over to 350°F. This will take a little longer cooking time, but you will not have to worry about burning your rub.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)