Elevated plant bed

Started by KyNola, April 10, 2011, 08:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Anyone else have one of these by Gronomics?

3 feet by 4 feet. Red cedar.  It is all dry fitted.  All pieces dovetail together.

Herbs in the front.  Pepper plants in the back and one lone Japanese eggplant plant in the back right corner.  Just had to try it. 

Bought it at a local garden store for $50 less than you can order it directly from the manufacturer.

SoCalBuilder

My kind of planter. I don't bend as well as I used to. Think you will have to water more often than if you just planted in the ground?

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on April 10, 2011, 08:32:06 AM
My kind of planter. I don't bend as well as I used to. Think you will have to water more often than if you just planted in the ground?
Not sure.  Will keep an eye on it until I see how it reacts.

muebe

$50 bucks sounds like a good deal. Might cost near that just for the materials to make it yourself. Being raised like that will lessen the chance of critters attacking your vegetables and of course easier to tend to. And the garden being closer to the sun is a selling point :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

hal4uk

That's cool!  I can't plant anything in the ground because our rabbit population will eat anything.  I think they're cross-bred with goats.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Mr Walleye

Quote from: hal4uk on April 10, 2011, 09:35:10 AM
That's cool!  I can't plant anything in the ground because our rabbit population will eat anything.  I think they're cross-bred with goats.

Smoke 'em.   :P

The rabbits that is.  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

hal4uk

Quote from: Mr Walleye on April 10, 2011, 10:03:31 AM

Smoke 'em.   :P

The rabbits that is.  ;D

Mike
Uhhhh...  Wifie thinks they're "cute".
I would too, focused in cross-hairs.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

muebe

I can picture a package of goodies with some Starnes and a vac sealed bag of Rabbit's feet being shipped out to another forum member soon :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

beefmann

Oldman

Interesting set up. I also believe you will need to water more often. I have to water my plants twice a day as they are all in containers.

Good luck!
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

grnhs

I like the smell of cedar when it is wet, the boards should seal fairly well once they absorb some moisture and swell.
Wow peppers outside already, we only dream of such a growing season up on the 49th parallel.
very nice.

KyNola

Quote from: Oldman on April 12, 2011, 02:08:24 PM
Interesting set up. I also believe you will need to water more often. I have to water my plants twice a day as they are all in containers.
Good luck!
Olds
Thanks for the advice Olds!  When it comes to all things planted I certainly yield to your advice.  You definitely know how to garden in containers.