• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

looking for a new smoker - why a bradley???

Started by smokemifyacaughtem, September 19, 2005, 03:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokemifyacaughtem

ok... the "big chief" is is being send BACK to the reservation!  It worked ok in southern california to smoke 1 fillet in the summer, but load it full of fish in WA during winter and you are in for a long day with poor results.  I was sold on a large propane unit sold at G.I. Joes, liking the size and it was recommended by a fishing guide at the sportsmans ahow. I don't think you can cold smoke with it, so I am now looking at the B.S.  - My budget is $400.00 and Ebay has the B.S. in black for $300.00 including shipping,cover,video and a "box-o-pucks". If you own one, would you get another one - or something else?  what problems have you had?  thanks in advance for all replies!!

CLAREGO

thats a great deal for a bs. check out chezbubba prices they will give you all the support you need if you buy it from him(plus 10 % off the pucks) i purchased mine at bass pro shops before i even came on this board if i would of known about this sight before i would of purchased one of his bent and dent smokers(NOW MINES BENT AND DENT but it does the same job!!!)  i dont have to many complaints with Mr bradley like any other smoker you have to have some patience. i dont have patience but for great food you got to have it ! im currently making some jerky right now and this will take more than 12 hours to make infact im using the ""BIg chief"" recipe book for this jerky.i have been messy with the slider off and on for 2 hours to keep it at 180-190 degrees but after im done letting the smoke roll ill just have to get it to the temp and not touch it again i still own a big chief it is in the basement right now just sitting in its orginial box with a sausage plunger that i bought..i dont have any major gripes/problems with it theres things on it that could make it better...but all around its a good smoker.

MallardWacker

Please have fun no matter what smoker you get, life is way to short and too many good times are to had.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

Been a Bradley owner for over 2 years and smokin food for a number of years.  To me the Bradley is as good a smoker as I have ever used.  With the addition of a few after market additions you can make it set it and forget it.  One of the members here(Oldman) has made a addition of a fan to circulate the heat better.  Several members have added temp control regulators that maintain a very accurate temp inside the cabinet.  So yes the Bradley could come with these things standard but then of course it wouldn't be 300 bucks.  Do you need those things to smoke great food NOPE.  Plenty of folks cold and hot smoking everything from cheese to moose heart I think it was[xx(].  But to each his own.  The forum is free and full of experienced smokers.  Some of the members got together and we even have a suplimental(sp?) forum where there is even more info.  Is the Bradley the best?  For me it fits[;)].  I didn't know about Chez Bubba or this froum when I got my smoker but I know Chez does what he says and he does it right and quick.  Happy Smokin'.  As far as where you live we have members from Washington state, Alaska, England, Manx, seems like Sweden and who knows where else.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

oguard

I own a lil chief as well as a bradley.The bradley does so much more salmon,ribs,cheese,brisket,and so much more consistent.If I was to buy another one I would go through Chez.Bradley can't be beat for its customer service.My bradley is stock no add ons and works perfect but each to there own[:)]

Mike

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

GrillinFool

I recently bought a bradley from chezbbubba.com and if it was stolen tonight I would get another tomorrow. I do lots of grilling and have used other smokers but nothing puts that real wood flavor into meat as well as the bradley. Nothing I have ever used is as consistant and easy to use. I also think that who you buy it from does matter. I saved alot buying a scratch and dent but more important I know where to go for advice if I get a real problem down the line. Or if I get crazy and need a second one.

Oldman

I purchased 3 units last year. I got mine from Chez <b><font color="blue">Chez's House Of Smoke</font id="blue"></b> I believe he has a std unit with 60 pucks for $330.00 and a scratched and dent for $280.00.

What is nice about Chez is if you order it on Monday you generally have it by Thursday. Now if you do order it from him then call him (see main page of his site for the number) and that will save you some monies over going through paypal on shipping charges. Also all who purchase a unit from him get a full 10% discount on all puck purchases. I like to freaked out the first time I found that discount check in with my order. (Now if you call him he takes the discount off over the phone.)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a few of the members got real upset with the wait for their unit to be deliever as they did not get it from Chez. I think I remember one saying something about 6 weeks.

As far as the fan goes I did the prototype and the production and marking of it Chez will handle. I'm not making a dime on it. I do know that members who purchase a smoker from him will get a discount on it when he start to sell them.

Just one more item for you to think over. The box has a 500 watt element. The generator has 125 watts. In freezing temps. I don't think it will do a full 4 racks of fish quickly. Where I live that is not a problem. For me it is that other than a week or two it does not get cool enough to smoke cheese [:(] So much so I have given thought to placing a refrigerated unit between the generator and the box.

Good luck in your choice.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

calatexmex

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br />Please have fun no matter what smoker you get, life is way to short and too many good times are to had.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mallard my man I didn't know that you where a philosopher. I couldn't agree with you more. [^][^]

Mike C

Kamanodental

One of the members here(Oldman) has made a addition of a fan to circulate the heat better.

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

Kamanodental

OK I have a question...its a long one...???
I have been reading posts of 3 hours and yet come up with a place to buy this fan...is one available...and can it be purchased...where, how, and cost?

Thanks
Kamano

(One of the members here(Oldman) has made a addition of a fan to circulate the heat better.)

Onipaa/Ku'oko'a
Steadfast Freedom

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">OK I have a question...its a long one...???
I have been reading posts of 3 hours and yet come up with a place to buy this fan...is one available...and can it be purchased...where, how, and cost?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">At the moment Chez is still working out production, plus I did not make a fan blade protector so Chez also has to address that issue as well as  directions for installing it etc.. How much it will cost I do not know.

I only did the prototype. I'm no longer part of the loop.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

seabjorn

Yo Smokem
I used a Big Chief for about 30 years, just smoking salmon or the occasional sturgeon, until getting a BS a few weeks ago.  I used commercial smokers in culinary school and thought I wanted one for home use (but couldn't ever justify the cost to the in-house controller) until my cousin did a brisket and showed me the beauty of the BS.  Didn't know about Chez so I picked one up on sale at Sportco (about $300 including WSST) but would definitely check out Chez for not just a good price but any support you might need.  This forum is excellent for advice and direction, the guys are really generous with their time and experience, so I highly recommend getting a BS and putting the smoke to everything you can.
Spare ribs this weekend, gotta love that pork.
Bjorn

charlie

You can't beat the flavor of a Bradley. Their Bisquettes may cost more than a bag of sawdust from their competitor, but it's worth it. If you have ever bought a bag of sawdust wood chips and opened it, say it's apple flavored, you can actually smell apple due to the artifical flavors added. This is not a good thing because when you burn the wood, the flavor doesn't transfer into your food. With Bradley, you buy apple bisquettes and you are getting wood from an actual apple tree so when you burn it, the natural apple flavor transfers into your food. Thats my favorite parts with the Bradley's. Plus, I didn't cook much before I bought it and now it's so easy. I just have fun with it.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you have ever bought a bag of sawdust wood chips and opened it, say it's apple flavored, you can actually smell apple due to the artifical flavors added. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Are you sure about this. I never saw an ingredient labeling that said anything like this.

Olds

charlie

Other companys buy a bulk hog fuel type wood and spray a "liquid wash" on their chips to give it their flavor. Reason they don't have to put artifical flavoring on the label is because you aren't consuming the product.