Hot Water Bath and Smoke Flavor

Started by jiggerjams, April 13, 2011, 06:19:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jiggerjams

I have been reading a couple of posts of late about hot water baths for bringing sausage etc. up to proper temps. The concept sounds great and I like the idea of the electric roaster for control. My question is does this hot water bath process dilute the smoke flavor of the sausage that hours were just spent trying to adhere and incorporate?

Thanks,
JJ

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: jiggerjams on April 13, 2011, 06:19:58 AM
I have been reading a couple of posts of late about hot water baths for bringing sausage etc. up to proper temps. The concept sounds great and I like the idea of the electric roaster for control. My question is does this hot water bath process dilute the smoke flavor of the sausage that hours were just spent trying to adhere and incorporate?

Thanks,
JJ

jj

Smoke your sausages close to IT and then give the hot water and you will be fine.

IE.... IT before HW 147 then to the HW for final IT. Just watch fat-out can happen quick.

Mr Walleye

JJ

I have done a few hundred pounds this way and haven't noticed any loss of smoke flavor. I do thinks it's important to properly dry your casings for best smoke penetration. I don't smoke mine to any particular IT. Instead what I'm looking for is the consistant mahogany color. I have checked the IT of the sausage when I put them in the hot water bath and they are typically around 135 degrees.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

OU812

What NePas said.  ;D

I smoke the sausage just like you normally would and bring the smoker temp up slowly till the smoker is at 160 F.

By the time my smoker is at 160 F the sausage is useally around 140 F.

Then transfer directly to the warmed up roaster and place the lid on.

I use a inverted Bradley rack to hold the sausage under the water and use my thermo pen to take the IT of the sausage, with out taking the sausage outta the water till its done.

jiggerjams

Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it. Now to find a roaster at a fair price and upset the Mrs. some more  ;)

grnhs

Quote from: jiggerjams on April 13, 2011, 09:32:56 AM
Thanks for the tips guys I appreciate it. Now to find a roaster at a fair price and upset the Mrs. some more  ;)
It's easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission.

RAF128

I have a neighbor at the lake.  He is now in his 70's but spent his life as a butcher with his own shop.    He also made his own sausage for the store.    He told me years ago that a hot water bath to bring your sausage to the right temp was the best method.   There was no loss of flavor.   The smoke is already in the meat and a short cook would take it away.