Making Suasage

Started by Wizzy, April 10, 2011, 08:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizzy

This is my first time making sausage in an electric smoker.  Normally I have a briquette smoker.  The problen I am having is that when I put the rings into the smoker they seem to turn white.  I think I am steaming them.  I have followed the recipe and am using the recommended temperatue and time.  I tried three different batches today and they all turned out the same.  I tried different temps, times amount of smoke.  The sausage I am making is a jalapeno and cheese with various spices.  Meat is venison and pork 70/30.  I am also using Number one cure.  Also I ground spiced and stuffed the meat and let sit for 16-18 hours before smoking.  If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.  

Also on another note my jerky seems to turn out the same kind of a grey dingy color.

Thank You

Ryan

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wizzy on April 10, 2011, 08:03:02 PM
This is my first time making sausage in an electric smoker.  Normally I have a briquette smoker.  The problen I am having is that when I put the rings into the smoker they seem to turn white.  I think I am steaming them.  I have followed the recipe and am using the recommended temperatue and time.  I tried three different batches today and they all turned out the same.  I tried different temps, times amount of smoke.  The sausage I am making is a jalapeno and cheese with various spices.  Meat is venison and pork 70/30.  I am also using Number one cure.  Also I ground spiced and stuffed the meat and let sit for 16-18 hours before smoking.  If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.  

Also on another note my jerky seems to turn out the same kind of a grey dingy color.

Thank You

Ryan

How much salt.
Are you adding citric acid
Starting temp/ending temp

Wizzy

Starting temp was on the first run 150 finished at 170.  Salt is 15 tsps and 3 of cure # 1.
Starting temp on the second run was 140 finished at 145.  Salt was the same.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wizzy on April 11, 2011, 06:59:06 AM
Starting temp was on the first run 150 finished at 170.  Salt is 15 tsps and 3 of cure # 1.
Starting temp on the second run was 140 finished at 145.  Salt was the same.

How many pounds did you do. 3 tsp of cure would be 15 lbs of meat.

When you say starting temp 150 is that cabinet temp?

Wizzy

Yes 15 lbs of meat. Starting temp would be the cabinet temp to start the process.(For the first 2 hours or so) and the finishing temp would be the cabinet temp for the last 2 hours or so.  I am trying to load a pic so you can see what I mean.

CoreyMac

Are you letting the sausage dry for a while before applying the smoke? It looks like the smoke isn't coloring the casings. What kind of casings are you using?

Corey

Wizzy

Natural hog casings.  I let it heat up fpr an hour before I start the smoke.

CoreyMac

Are you letting the sausage dry @ about 100F for the fiirst hour, then bringing up the heat and smoke? I have had spots once in a while with hog casing where there is a thick spot but never the whole thing.

Corey

NePaSmoKer

Make your cut 80/20 and hang at room temp for 1.5 hours before the smoker. Start smoker at 130 for an hour no smoke then increase 10* with smoke. Try not to exceed 175-180 cabinet temps.

Also are you soaking the casings before stuffing? Should be rinsed in and out and soaked in cold water with 1 Tbs vinegar for an hour. Exess salt on the casings can turn white.

grnhs

what's the vinegar do Nepas?