Hi-Limit Cutout

Started by bubbagump, September 21, 2005, 10:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bubbagump

Had a strange thing happen over the weekend. I was smoking a couple of chickens, which had been in for a couple of hours, when I noticed the temperature in the smoker starting to drop (had the Maverick hooked up to it). It had been hanging pretty steady at 205 but when it started dropping into the 190's I wondered what was up. I then noticed that the indicator light for the smoker (not the smoke generator)was not lit even though I had slid the temp. control to high.

The temp. continued to drop until it hit 188 and then the all of the sudden the indicator light came back on and the temp. eventually started to climb again. The only thing I thought would cause this was the hi-limit cutout in the smoker box.

I continued to watch the temp. and around 210 the light went out and the temp. started to drop again. This time I opened the door and within a matter of a few seconds the light went on again. I was then convinced that it was the hi-limit causing this. Fortunately it didn't happen again.

After I was finished cooking I cleaned the limit switch off to look at it and I notice that it said 115C on it. This kind of suprised me because that would be around 240 fahrenheit. I thought this maybe was the cut in temp. and not the cut out temp. because I've had the box at 270 before while preheating it. Either way it wasn't working correctly.

Anyway I called Bradley and they sent me out a new one right away. They couldn't tell me what rating of the hi-limit should be, but thought 115C sounded too low. The new one arrived today and it says 120C, which is 248F.

Does anyone know for sure what this hi-limit is suppose to open at?

Thanks

Bubbagump

Chez Bubba

Bubba,

Like the name.[;)]

Bradley's lit says the max cooking temp is 320F, although I think you would be hard pressed to get it to that temp with anything inside.

I would reason that that is the temp where the high-limit would cut out. I also "believe" that once your high-limit blows, you need to replace it. However, if anyone with better credentials than me counters that claim, I will happily defer because I don't know that to be fact.

My first guess is that you were using an extension cord that was incapable of supplying the needed current. Second guess is that the receptacle you were plugged into also had a large draw on the circut, like a reefer, dishwasher, TV, etc.

Hope that helps & gets you back to smokin' fine.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

I'd like to jump in on this one because I have had a similar situation and I don't understand it.

I'm not sure what a high limit cutout is either.   BUT....

What happened to me once sounds just like bubbagumps post.  I had the unit all the way up and my light was cutting on and off and the temp dropped and rose.  It so happens I have a halogen lamp in my living room with a "dimmer style" on/off - that is you turn the knob on and keep turning to increase light output.  At the peak of the rotation, the lamp will cut out.  Therefore, you turn the lamp all the way on and then back it off an eight of a turn and get full light with no problems.

I applied this theory to my heat slide, and have not had any problems since.  That is...push the slide all the way to the right, and then back it off just enough so that you feel like it moved.  Have not had any heat issues since.

1. I hope this helps others.
2. If someone can interpret these postings from an electrical knowledgeable point of view and help me understand why its happening, that would be a bonus as well.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Arcs_n_Sparks

Usually thermal cut-offs are bi-metallic switches. They are designed to cycle when tripped (versus a thermal fuse, which is a one-time protection feature). Should be no issue cycling them a number of times (similar concept to controlling iron temperature). Their rating is normally their "trip-off" temperature.

I am not familiar with the rheostat control on the Bradley and if it has the potential for "dead zones."

Arcs_n_Sparks

bubbagump

Hi Chez,

No extension cord, smoker is plugged into a 20 amp. circuit with no other large load on it.

Whitetail,

I thought the same thing about rheostat slide but mine was not all the way on high when this happened and nothing changed when I slid it back and forth. Not until the temp dropped did the light go on again. It did this twice and it not do it again. I even used it the next day for 15 hours and it did not happen.

Sparks is right about the switch. They are designed to cycle, that is why I'm certain it was the thermal cutout causing this. I guess the thing that seems odd is that, as Chez stated, Bradley says the max temp for cooking is 320. But the hi-limit switch in my smoker was 115C or 239F. And the new one is rated at 120C or 248F.

Whatever the actual cutout temp for the switch is, I know it's not 210. So I'll install the new this weekend.

As others have mentioned on this site before, Bradley's customer service is excellent. I called them on Monday and it was in my mailbox when I came home from work today, and I live in Iowa - on the mighty Mississippi....well not on it, but next to it. [:D]

Thanks,

Bubbagump

Chez Bubba

BG,

Please take cover from the impending twisters. Best wishes & hang in there.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

manxman

Hi,

This post may be of interest.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=997&SearchTerms=temperature

Certainly the temp quoted by bubbagump seems too low to cut out in the manner described in my post.

I now have a piece of duck tape on my temp control slider to remind me what the actual maximum is so I avoid this cutting out phenomena.

Having said that, my BS does get to the temp it is suppossed to before cutting out and you don't need to get to those temps using the BS in any case as more experienced members pointed out to me at the time. [:)]

Hopefully the new unit has sorted your problem bubbagump?

Manxman.
Manxman

Oldman

Well either my high limit is broken or it is closer to what Chez posted.  I've seen 305 F.

When I was testing the prototype fan for 40 hours I took the box several times over 300 F and left it there for 2-3 hours. Now I have the older style element. I would think the newer style would put out the same amount of heat.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

I have an idea!

Use this smoker for cold smoking and buy another for hot smoking.[:D]

I didn't say it was a good idea just an idea.[:I]

bubbagump

Thanks Manxman for the link to the previous post of yours. It appears from your test that the 120C on the limit switch is the cut in temp. and not the cut out. The 160C (320F) cut out temp you experienced during your test is consistant with Bradley's literature.

Mystery solved! [:)]

Thanks again,

Bubbagump