Another Day of Smoking

Started by DisplacedCoonass, April 17, 2011, 09:12:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisplacedCoonass

During our trip to the commissary yesterday I noticed the meat was all really cheap, so my wife suggested we buy some and fire up the smoker.  I was only happy to oblige!  10lb picnic ham, 3lbs of wings, rack of baby backs, and some "country ribs" for roughly $25.  Fresh ears of corn were 6/$2 so I snatched up a few of those as well.  Ham is in a brine for Easter but everything else is in for a few hours of mesquite and Jim Beam.

Wings with random seasoning:

Ribs, Jan's rub on left and a concoction I made up on the right:

The rub I made includes some crushed peppers from last years crop:

Country ribs, giving them a smoke then into the freezer to be finished on the grill later:

Corn, again, pulling after smoking to finish on the grill for a nice char.  Then I'll cut them off and freeze:

OldHickory

It all looks good.  The commissary is a good and deserved advantage of being in the service.  A rubdown with OO, garlic salt, black pepper for my ribs. No sugar on my meat, especially pork.  The sauce is on the side if you think you need it.  Coonass handle, you have to be from Southern Louisiana.  I worked as a roughneck out of Houma, La. one Summer between my junior and senior years in college, for Texaco... By the end of the Summer the other workers said I was a naturalized coonass, just like them.  I felt it was a good compliment.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

DisplacedCoonass

Everything done and out the smoker.  Full belly and almost time for bed...

Jan's rub ribs:

My rub ribs:

Chicken Wings:

And the dinner plate with red potatoes and some of the smoked corn:

DisplacedCoonass

Quote from: OldHickory on April 17, 2011, 05:50:34 PM
It all looks good.  The commissary is a good and deserved advantage of being in the service.  A rubdown with OO, garlic salt, black pepper for my ribs. No sugar on my meat, especially pork.  The sauce is on the side if you think you need it.  Coonass handle, you have to be from Southern Louisiana.  I worked as a roughneck out of Houma, La. one Summer between my junior and senior years in college, for Texaco... By the end of the Summer the other workers said I was a naturalized coonass, just like them.  I felt it was a good compliment.

Yeah, it's hard to beat the commissary out here in VA.  And you would be correct with the Southern LA guess.  Spent a few years in Houma myself, had some good times down there. 

I'd take it as a pretty good compliment, most roughnecks I've dealt with don't give them often. :-)