First pulled beef and a new element

Started by SoCalBuilder, April 17, 2011, 03:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

Well to start, my element took a permanent vacation and I was lucky to have a spare for the second element conversion.
Spotted a good looking beef roast at the market and decided it was time to try some pulled beef.

5.5 lbs of tip roast, whatever that is.

When I got it unwrapped, it looked awful lean, so I found Mr. Walleye's recipe and decided that boating may just be the ticket here, and I've never tried that before either.

Rubbed up with Gunpowder and nothing more

Sat overnight in the refer and ready to smoke. Four hours of Jim Beam @ 225 and looking for an IT of 195

Now during the smoking process, I noticed that the box temp was climbing nicely and for the first time ever, I hit the box temp (225) well before finishing the cook. The meat at this point was only showing and IT of 79*. "This is how it is supposed to be," I tell myself. I am now wondering if I just had a lazy element all this time.

Anyway after boating at 165 and taking it to an IT of 203 which it hit in 9 hours. I pulled it and FTM'd for about 7 hours. The IT was still over 120 when I tried to pull it. It's a little dry and didn't pull like the pork I have done, but it also had very little fat. The juices from the boat took care of the dryness.

Sort of a mixed day. I'm anxious to do something like chicken so that I can compare this new element with my original. On the pulled beef, a slather of some kind and a fatter piece of meat would probably have helped. Still gonna make some great tacos and sandwiches!