Pork shoulders again

Started by bigmikey, April 16, 2011, 06:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmikey

2 7.5 lb pork shoulders with hickory smoke this time. Ribs and wings coming later.

KyNola

Looks good Mikey.  How many hours of smoke are you planning on putting on those shoulders?  The reason I ask is you have got that smoke generator LOADED with bisquettes. :D

bigmikey

Planning on 5-6 hours, then moving to oven and throwing in ribs for tonight.

ghost9mm

WOW!!! y'all gonna be eating good for awhile...good lookin shoulders...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

bigmikey

bigmikey

Finally hit 195 after 23 hours.

After 5 hours FTC

Just fell apart

Ribs were the best I've ever made, 4 hours in smoker with butts, then to oven wrapped in foil with half cup of apple juice for 3 hours. Then unwrapped foil, mopped with bbq sauce  and let finish for 1 hour.

bigmikey

Here is a question maybe someone can answer. In the picture of 2 finished butts, the one on left was a lot dryer than one on right. They were both injected, one with a homemade bbq sauce, and one with a pork marinade, both had a similar rub also.  The only difference is the drier one was on top rack of smoker and other was 2 racks down. The top one was 10 degrees warmer the whole time until it stalled at 162, then the lower one caught up to it, and they stayed the same all the way til 195. Not sure why bottom one was so juicy and top one was dry.

Any input is appreciated

OU812

All that pork looks gooood!

As far as the dry one it could be a couple things,

1) the pig that hunk of meat came from, age does matter.

2) The top one was dripping juices down on the bottom one, keeping it moist.

ghost9mm

Really looks great partner, a job well done I would say...the ribs look killer...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

OldHickory

I smoke my pork shoulders 8hrs. minimum with hickory, works for me.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.