Homemade Hot Dogs

Started by Tenpoint5, April 17, 2011, 07:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

Dangit, that looks freakin awsome!!!

I'm starving.  Still no kitchen.  Still buried in "crap-to-do".
YOU'RE KILLIN ME.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

pikeman_95

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 20, 2011, 06:01:21 PM
We had Hot Dogs for dinner tonight on the grill. Top with a little relish, some thick homemade hot sauce, and some Rudy's BBQ Sause. Dang Good Eats!!!

Fresh in off the grill

My Dinner Plate (2 Dogs, Whistle Berries, Dill Pickle Chips and sugar/cinnamon Pears)

dang good looking dogs. I like them with a little bark on just like the ones in the pics. Did the boys like them?

Kirby

Tenpoint5

The kids Loved them. There was no complaining about not being full! these bad boys was "Big Boy Hot Dogs"
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

don24

you say you slipped of casings .i didnt know you could do that is there any special technic  that makes this happen

Tenpoint5

Quote from: don24 on May 07, 2011, 04:39:42 AM
you say you slipped of casings .i didnt know you could do that is there any special technic  that makes this happen

Don it is a combination of things that cause the casings to slip off. First the water bath does help lubricate the casing some. But the main thing as it was described to me. Is the meat cooks and shrinks in the water bath but the temp is low enough that the proteins in the meat and the casing do not form a bond. So they don't adhere to each other. If this isnt the reason it sure sounded good to me when I asked the questions.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

jiggerjams

Awesome looking meal Chris...Thanks for the post!!!

BigSmoker

Chris I want to make 10 pounds of these.  Any ideas on the spice ratio.  I was going to weigh the spices and go that route but thought you or someone else may have a better idea.  Thanks for any help!
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

viper125

Well keep telling wife I'm going to make some. Thanks 10 point! I've had quite a few of your recipes and havn't got a bad one yet! Love them all!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

wyrman

Those look fantastic tenpoint5! I'm wondering if I smoke them for a couple of hours then put them in a water bath if the casings would still come off easy?

Kevin A

Still looks awesome some 9 months later....... ;)

- Kevin

wyrman

That's funny Kevin A. I didn't even notice that.  :-[
I went ahead and ordered some cellulose casings.

cobra6223

nice dogs my friend and yes they are very tasty.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: BigSmoker on January 16, 2012, 04:10:48 PM
Chris I want to make 10 pounds of these.  Any ideas on the spice ratio.  I was going to weigh the spices and go that route but thought you or someone else may have a better idea.  Thanks for any help!

Heading out the door for work right now. Somewhere I think I might have the recipe for a 10 pound batch but I haven't found it yet. OU812 originally gave me the recipe. He might have it figured already. Otherwise yes just do the math that's what I probably will end up dong for you.

BigSmoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 22, 2012, 03:25:09 PM
Quote from: BigSmoker on January 16, 2012, 04:10:48 PM

Heading out the door for work right now. Somewhere I think I might have the recipe for a 10 pound batch but I haven't found it yet. OU812 originally gave me the recipe. He might have it figured already. Otherwise yes just do the math that's what I probably will end up dong for you.

If you find the 10 lb recipe that would be great.  I made a 2 lb batch today for my grandson tonight and dinner for me and Wifey later in the week. 
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

10.5 Mobile

How did you like the results of your small batch of hotdogs?