First smoke of the season!

Started by MechMedic130, April 14, 2011, 05:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MechMedic130

The weather is finally nice enough for me to break the Brad back out of storage for the season, and decided to do a Chicken for my first smoke of the year. Got it in a brine bath right now, probably gonna give it 3-4 hours in there. Then going to give it a nice rub and pop it in the smoker for around 5 hours because it's still only in the low 50's, and I live really close to the Lake Ontario shoreline and we get a cold wind still at this time of year, so I want to give myself some wiggle room in case I can't keep the box hot enough.

So excited that the snow is gone and smoking is back! Going have to look this year at rigging up a shed or something so I can smoke all winter. I'll post pic's of the cooking!

jiggerjams

Look forward to the pics. Where abouts on the lake are you? Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Beaches? Other?

MechMedic130

Here's the finished product. Ended up not using a rub and went with some Chiavetta's BBQ Marinade, which if you're not from Western NY, is basically super powered Italian Dressing. And I'm from Rochester Jigger, I live on the south shore of Ontario.

devo

That thing looks just to shiny, you better cut into it before it slides away. Good looking bird

jiggerjams

Good looking Chucken!! Never thought of the south shore. Cheers to ya!!

Smokeville

I'm from Oakville and when visiting TOPs or Wegmans I've often bought the "Chiavetta's Barbeque Marinade" in the big jugs. That's the one with the vinegar base? Or is what you used another of their products?

Rich

Smokeville

MechMedic130

Yeah it's the vinegar base. And it tastes great, it doesn't taste as strong as it smells thats for sure, lol.

Smokeville

So, did you brine the bird in it or just kind of brush it on?

MechMedic130

I brined the bird in a simple salt water and brown sugar brine for 3 hours, then injected under the skin with Chiavetta's and brushed some over the skin as well.