Turkey is in the house

Started by devo, April 22, 2011, 06:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devo

Got the 13lbs turkey in the smoker this morning. It sat in a apply juice brine for 12 hours and then rinsed off, injected it with garlic butter and sat in the fridge over night. Pulled it out to sit on the counter till it warmed up a bit. Covered it with the Roxies Saturday Night Special Sauce I posted and sprinkled garlic plus. Now its getting 4 hours of alder & hickory smoke. Its a nice day today so I even moved the smoker to the deck from the garage. More pics to follow. Love the auber pid.

squirtthecat

muebe

Looking good! Appears to be just the right size ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

devo

Yup right size for sure. Any bigger and I would have had to hang it I think.
Got this smoker dialed in pretty good too.
Auber pid sitting around 220*F, the little maverick temp probe through the top vent says 217*F and of course the bradley is telling me its only 203*F. Goes to show you how off the bradley can be.

OU812

That bird is gonna be soooooooo gooood.

You gonna finish in the smoker or in some thing hotter to crisp up the skin?

devo

Was thinking about 20 minutes at 400* in the oven but i see how it comes out of the smoker first

Quarlow

Very nice Devo. I will be doing similar on sunday. Except I will lay on the smoke for 2 or 3 hours, then it it will go into the Big Easy to finish. The nice thing about the BE is it only takes a couple of hours to cook so you are not tied to the kitchen all day.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Yep, the Bradley and TBE are quite a team.

Last turkey breast I did was in the smoker set at 250 F with 3 hr Apple then straight in TBE
for 45 min and done.

Gotta love it.  ;D

OldHickory

Looks so far so good.  I let the smoke roll the total cook time, hickory, yes I like the taste of smoke with my bird.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

devo

Exactly 6 hours later here it is. Brought the IT to 165*F. Its in the oven now to keep warm till all the other fixings are done. Man the house sure does smell good.

OU812

That bird GREAT.

Did you finish in the smoker?

devo

Yes I did. Had all day to do it so I thought I would give the bradley a work out. I think tomorrow I will need to work out  ;)

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

Wow, that looks awesome!!!!!

OldHickory

That is a good looking bird, nice job.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.