Easter Brisket and Wallaby Smoke up

Started by TassieSmoker, April 23, 2011, 09:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TassieSmoker

Hey All,

Well guys the time had come to test the Smoked Wallaby, have been planning this for a few weeks and decided we would have a few guests around for Easter Sunday afternoon and a bit of a cook up in the Bradley Smoker.
I had 2 whole Wallaby hind quarters to play with, I decided to leave one whole on the bone and bone one out, as well I decided to have a crack at some Brisket as I hadn't tried that yet and thought I would try one of the Wallaby's in the same way as a Brisket......so....

First up I made up a dry rub and coated both of the Briskets and the whole Wallaby hind quarter, then vacuum sealed them and placed them in the fridge overnight, then I placed the Wallaby meat in a vacuum sealed bag with some Nando's BBQ Sauce and left that overnight and half the day......then I made up a Mopping sauce and left it in the fridge overnight as well to stew away and let the flavours develop.

Then I preheated the Bradley to 220 degrees and loaded it up with some Oak Bisquettes enough for 5-6 hours of smoke, the Briskets were around 3lb each so am guessing around 4 hours should do it but will keep an eye on the meat temp and check it often....its all a bit experimental at this stage and I will treat the Wallaby the same way to see how it turns out, Wallaby was free so I will not be too concerned if I ruin it... :lol:
In went the 2 Briskets and the Wallaby hind quarter on the bone with the Oak smoking hard, I also have some Chicken Drumsticks and Wings to do later on and will also do the Wallaby meat in with the chicken with some Apple Bisquettes for a lighter smoke.

After about an hour I gave one of the Briskets and the Wallaby a mop on both sides, turned them over and swapped a couple of racks around to even out the temps a bit and the smell was fantastic........mmmmm

Bradley Smoker loaded up and ready to go...

Briskets with the rub after a night in the fridge...

Brisket ready to go...

Wallaby ready to go...

Smoking underway...

Mopping Sauce...

An hour in and the first mop on the Brisket...

I will continue posting throughout the afternoon as the smoke progresses and will post up the final results, will also post up the recipe if it turns out tasty..... 8)

Cheers all
Tassie
Its all about the Flavour......Bradley Smokers

3rensho

Lookin' good so far.  Can't wait to see the results.  Happy Easter feast.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

TassieSmoker

ok....update.....Briskets and Wallaby have been in for nearly 4 hours, have placed one Brisket and Wallaby in some foil trays for their last mop and will cover in foil for one more hour in the smoker then remove, wrap in towels and place in a eski for a few hours to rest, I have left one brisket dry to see if the mopping makes any dramatic differences.
Once I have removed the red meats I will make a start on the Chicken, they have been in a poultry brine for nearly an hour now ready for the smoke.

Brisket and Wallaby mopped and ready to soak up some Apple Juice...

squirtthecat

Now I had to go look up 'wallaby'...

Man, that is a meaty sucker!

ghost9mm

Now !!! that really looks good, I've also noticed that someone removed a small piece of the brisket...lol     Happy Easter
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Mr Walleye

Quote from: squirtthecat on April 24, 2011, 05:37:31 AM

Now I had to go look up 'wallaby'...

Man, that is a meaty sucker!

I knew it was similar to a kangaroo but didn't realize they were a smaller version.

I envision them tasting similar to rabbit but I have no idea.

Very good looking smoke Tassie!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Quote from: ghost9mm on April 24, 2011, 06:27:31 AM
Now !!! that really looks good, I've also noticed that someone removed a small piece of the brisket...lol     Happy Easter

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Ya just can't trust those darn wallabies even when ya got them in the smoker!

Mike

TassieSmoker

sorry for the late update but once all the guests arrived the laptop was pushed aside and entertaining on the deck took precedent.....with the Brisket and Wallaby hind quarter safely wrapped and packed to rest for a few hours I put the Brined Chicken Drumsticks, Wings and marinated Wallaby meat in with the Bradley cranked all the way up and a steady flow of Apple smoke churning through...

Wallaby meat and plain Chicken...

Spiced up Wings and Legs...

Chicken and Wallaby Smokin away...

but wait there is more..... 8)

TassieSmoker

After 3 hours of smoke the Chicken was ready but unfortunately once the plate was placed on the table it was devoured before I could grab the camera so no pics.... :cry: ....but everyone was happy, the meat was juicy and tender with just the lightest hint of sweet smokey flavour... :wink:
While the Chicken was being attacked I quickly sliced up the Brisket and pulled all of the meat from the Wallaby bones, the Wallaby was tender and moist and just fell apart......absolutely magnificent flavour and the heavy Oak smoke was certainly a good choice for the gamey meat, didn't overpower the delicate taste of the meat but still added a depth of smokiness to the dish that left you wanting more.
The Brisket certainly had some kick to it courtesy of the spicy rub, let you know it was there but soon passed, I did find it a little tough and not as tender as I would have hoped, maybe some more cook time was in order, more mopping even I am not sure.....the cut didnt have a lot of fat left on it which could be the issue and the Butcher did warn me of that as it was a last minute order and he had already made the cut and even suggested he would leave more fat on it to do a long slow cook or smoke......next time I will give him more notice.. :wink: .......but all up not bad, a little bit of BBQ sauce or gravy and it was fine.
If anyone is interested in the recipes I will post up over the next day or so.....its getting late now so will call it a night and report back later, have plenty of leftovers in the fridge to see how the flavour develops after a day or so.....

Final sliced Brisket and Wallaby Meat...

Cheers all
Tassie

Quarlow

Nice work Tassie. Good on ya mate....hehe I just had to say that. Happy easter and........ how could you eat such a cute little critter. Just kidding.  :D :D :D I'd eat the little bugger too. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OldHickory

Looks good, must have been a big crowd.  I send a "good on ya mate" also.  Happy Easter.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

bigmikey

Yeah looks good! I hope mine turns out also

TestRocket

Sounds like you made everyone happy with the eats! Congrats!  ;D

Mr Walleye

Looks excellent Tassie!

Fire away with the recipe and thanks in advance for sharing.

Mike

SL2010

Looks very good where can i get some wallaby meat is that found at giant eagle or sam's club