Egg Shells

Started by Oldman, September 16, 2005, 12:04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritzdeliman

yeah, but have you tried to smoke an egg? it tastes like garbage. The 2 things that can not be smoked, eggs and kraft dinner. [V]

jb9

ritzdeliman, I haven't done it myself, and probably won't any time soon, but others might disagree with you.

Topic 1
Topic 2

JJC

RDM--I haven't tried it either, but there are lots of folks who seem to like smoked eggs!

I agree with you 100% on the Kraft dinners, however . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Bassman

R,
I will have to disagree with you.I have had very good success smoking hard boiled eggs. Smoked eggs are actually wonderful in a tuna salad, potato salad,chicken salad etc etc.. The trick is not to over smoke them.Cold smoke for an hour or less with a mild wood like apple. It will add that something extra to any salad.Try it, you'll like it[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bassman</i>
<br />R,
I will have to disagree with you.I have had very good success smoking hard boiled eggs. Smoked eggs are actually wonderful in a tuna salad, potato salad,chicken salad etc etc.. The trick is not to over smoke them.Cold smoke for an hour or less with a mild wood like apple. It will add that something extra to any salad.Try it, you'll like it[:p]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've also have had excellent results with smoking eggs. I generally cold smoke them from 40 minutes to an hour using maple. They are not only good for adding to salads, but taste great with salt and pepper, or for using as deviled eggs.

The only time I did not care for smoked eggs is when I pickeled them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I smoked some quail eggs a while ago, and along with olives, rate as far and away my biggest failures with the BS, nothing else has come close!! They were 'orrible........[xx(]

But after reading the posts from Bassman and Habanero Smoker perhaps it's time to have another try with eggs next time I cold smoke?

Like JJC I had no idea there were such good variations on a theme for boiling an egg.... thanks.

Manxman.
Manxman

ritzdeliman

Well, maybe I'll have to give it a go again in the bradley. I've used other smokers in the past and the results were a little off. But with these tips it might change my mind, KD on the other hand will not be done. Thanks for the tips.
ritzdeliman

ChefBill

Habanero,
If you FLOAT the eggs in a pot of water BEFORE you punch the hole in them you can find the air bubble in the shell. It going to be UP.[^]
<i>Add salt to the water you boil them in. 1 TBSP.</i>
Once the cooking time is up, pour off the boiling water and just shake them around in the pot to crack the shells then cover them with ICE COLD water and let them sit until cool they peel a lot easier.

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

Habanero Smoker

ChefBill

Thanks for the tip on how to find the air pocket. I'll need to remember to add salt. When I hard boil eggs, I will bring them to a boil for a minute or two; turn off the heat, cover and let them sit in the hot water for 10-15 minutes. This way you get a softer yoke, and it avoids that greenish ting that surrounds the yoke.

I haven't smoked anything in about 5 1/2 months. Tuesday I going to dig the smoker out of storage, and eggs and chicken will be the first things I will smoke. Don't ask which will be first[:)]

Now that Easter and Passover are approaching there should be some good sales on eggs, and Kosher chickens & turkey. I preferr the Kosher poultry for smoking, because they are already been brined and stay moist when you smoke them.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

gpsmoker

Besides adding some salt to the water, I also add a couple of teaspoons of vinegar to the water to acidulate it. If an egg happens to crack while boiling, the acid in the water helps to coagulate it and keep it near the egg and not all over the pot.

When its brown it's cookin'. When its black it's done!
When it's brown its cooking....when its black its done!

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven