Caribbean Crab Creole.

Started by manxman, October 07, 2005, 02:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Taken two or three attempts to perfect this over the summer but it has been good fun trying.

This recipe uses the European Brown Crab....

www.arkive.org/species/ARK/ invertebrates_marine/Cancer_pagurus/

but I would guess other crab meat could easily be substituted.

In this instance the claw and leg meat from 5 medium to large male crabs were used, the brown body meat was used for something else. However both types of meat can be mixed in this recipe.

Ingredients:

18oz white (claw/leg) crab meat.
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped.
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped.
2 garlic cloves, crushed.
2 oz breadcrumbs.
1 or 2 fresh red (mild to medium hot) chilli, seeded and finely chopped.
6 spring onions, finely chopped.
pinch of ground mace.
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice berries.
chopped fresh parsley, couple of small sprigs.
juice of 1 lime.
2 to 4 tablespoons dark/navy rum.
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.
salt.
butter.

Method:

1. mash crab meat well with fork, checking for shell fragments.
2. add 2oz breadcrumbs to crab meat.
3. add peppers, garlic, chilli, mace, allspice,spring onions, black pepper and parsley.
4. mix well, either by hand or in food processor. Add lime juice and rum. Mix thoroughly then taste.
5. add salt to taste.

Serving suggestions:

a. scrub and wash the empty crab shells and fill with crab mixture. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and dot with butter . Bake in preheated oven at 180C/350F for around 30 minutes.

b. put one green bell pepper per person in a pan of cold water. Bring to boil and simmer for 5 - 7 minutes until tender but firm. Leave to cool, then cut off top and scoop out the seeds.Fill with crab mix, top off with small piece of butter and sprig of parsley and bake in preheated oven at around 180C/350F for 25 - 30 minutes. Nice eaten with crusty French bread.

c. shape into burger shaped crab cakes. A few more breadcrumbs or egg white may be needed to help binding. These may be grilled or shallow fried.

If not using crab mix immediately freeze on day of preparation.

Goes well with a nicely chilled dry white wine.

Manxman.
Manxman

BigSmoker

Sounds really good.  You should add it to the recipe site[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Lasse

Hi Manxman,

This sounds very good.[:p]

Can you tell how many servings the recipe is for.[?]
If you eat kinda normal.

/Lasse

manxman

Hi Lasse,

I would say it would serve about 6 as a starter, which is what I tend to use it for.

Last time I did it I got 4 stuffed peppers and 3 or 4 crab cakes out of it, froze the crab cakes and served one pepper per person as a starter.

Hope this helps.

Manxman.
Manxman

Lasse

TnX Manx,

I will try it later on.

/Lasse

manxman

Hi Lasse,

Hope you enjoy, let us know...... positive or otherwise!!!!!

Manxman.
Manxman

Phone Guy

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Phone Guy</i>
<br />Crab anything sounds good.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Except if you're having that discussion with your doctor![;)][xx(][xx(][}:)][:D][:D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Except if you're having that discussion with your doctor!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Seen a few of this variety of crab down the microscope on occasions, not ones I have caught personnally I hasten to add![;)]

All I can say is it would take a fair few of these critters to make a recipe!![}:)][}:)][xx(][xx(]

Manxman.
Manxman